Cheap Printer recommendation

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by N7ZAL, Dec 16, 2016.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
ad: L-rfparts
  1. N7ZAL

N7ZAL XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I'm looking for an inexpensive black and white printer and don't need anything fancy. I just need something to occasionally print documents and pages...no photos and not even sure if I want inkjet or laser. :)

Appreciate any ideas.

Thanks.

2. N6OIL

N6OIL Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Hi Bill, I would go laser if you are only going to use it occasionally the reason why is ink jets print heads dry out and when it does dry out it's when you needed the most.

Hope this helps.

Rory

KI5WW likes this.
  3. W0IS

W0IS Ham Member QRZ Page

What I did was just go to WalMart (after checking other similar stores online) and got the cheapest one they had that day, which happened to be a Canon MP150. I suspect that model no longer exists, but you get the idea.

It set me back about $30. I refill the non-refillable ink cartridges with about 10 cents worth of ink. Occasionally, they're beyond hope, and I need to buy a new used one for about $20.

I get the replacement at Ink Cartridges R Us (or store with a similar name). The advantage of buying those is that they've already poked a hole in the right spot and are easier to refill.

4. KB7QPS

KB7QPS Ham Member QRZ Page

I have a HP4100 at home. The cost thousands new but now can be had for $50 or $150. Ink (toner) runs $24/10,000 pages. Would highly recommend it.

5. N7ZAL

Good input. Lasers use toner and that is expensive?

Refilling cartridges makes sense....never did that though.

6. N7ZAL

Large and heavy?

7. KP4SX

KP4SX XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Bill, I bought a cheapo Canon about a year ago. It was the Walmart model du jour so I don't know if its still around. Canon Pixma MG2520. I don't recall the price but it was cheap. Prints, copies, scans.
    Two downsides that may be important. It won't feed regular letter envelopes. And it allows no printing on the bottom margin for 0.5" although you can manually trick it .
    Ink, yeah, is where you get clipped. I usually use generic cartridges and they are around $18/pair I think. Rory is right about the cartridges clogging up if they aren't used regularly but even if you only print once every two weeks I think you'd be ok with an inkjet.

8. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

A USB thumb drive and access to commercial printers at Office Max, Office Depot, Kinko's etc. isn't a bad solution if you don't have to print much or often.

We do have a couple printers here at home but for anything serious, I use a thumb drive and go to Kinko's about a mile away. Great prints and lets me ogle the incredibly beautiful cashier.:p

KK5JY, NL7W and WA7PRC like this.
  9. KD0CAC

KD0CAC Ham Member QRZ Page

2nd for the laser printer , it is the cheapest .
    I had to replace many ink jet many times and only use very little , the cartridges dry out issue , also do not buy extras that may sit around a while , because you found a good deal - most have a chip in them that expire - so a new sealed cartridge will not work for maybe several reasons the chip expires , the ink dry's out etc.
    The laser printer may have more expensive replacements , but not when you look at how many copies per dollar and they do not dry out , have not found an expiration in them and they can sit unused for months or longer & still work , worse case is that the powder settles , so take out and tap against hand to loosen up powder / ink and put back in .
    The most expensive printer is a ink jet for all the reasons above .

10. KB7QPS

KB7QPS Ham Member QRZ Page

Cartridges can be refilled but I find it easier to buy mine off eBay. The $24/10,000 pages is the cost for a new cartridge off eBay.

The HP4100 is a bit large and a bit heavy, depending on your space requirements.