chasing satillites

Discussion in 'Satellite and Space Communications' started by N9XV, Feb 15, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
ad: L-Geochron
ad: L-MFJ
ad: abrind-2
ad: l-BCInc
  1. N9XV

N9XV Ham Member QRZ Page

Can someone tell me how to tell what mode the ISS is in regarding the FM repeater modes. I understand it supposed to be on their ISS fan club site, but I guess I'm missing it.

ISS fan club

thanks.

2. M3ONL

M3ONL Ham Member QRZ Page

The mode is NFM....download "satscape" satellite tracking software, it's free to use and gives you the frequencies and modes in use.

Adrian

3. AB8ZL

AB8ZL Ham Member QRZ Page

There are several FM repeaters operated from the station. Your link takes me straight to the list of them. The first two on the list are for communications to and from the station; the next three are all FM voice crossband repeaters.

What’s the confusion?

4. KL7AJ

KL7AJ Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I tried chasing satellites once, but I could never find a pair of sneakers with the right kind of traction. So the satellites always got away. :)

Eric

5. KA0HCP

KA0HCP XML Subscriber QRZ Page

A couple of points. Whenever there is any external activity the ham radios are turned off. This week they are positioning the final node section, and hooking up utility connections.

The FM voice repeater has seldom been active for the last year and a half, due to programming problems with the radios, as I understand it from an AMSAT briefing I attended. Likewise the SSTV computer. Your best bet is the packet bbs store and forward.

Long term the hopes are to get radios up to the Italian module (DaVinci?) launched last year which has dedicated permanent ham antennas, and is far enough away from the main work antennas so that they can be turned on and left on.

I recommend using the Satellite Status info at http://www.amsat.org/

73, Bill

6. W9GB

W9GB Ham Member QRZ Page

COF - ESA Columbus Oribital Facility (module).
    Green in this diagram
    Changes from this earlier diagram -- Cupola moved to nadir port (Earth facing) on Node 3
    and Russian research module locations modified -- both Russian modules coming up (Shuttle and Proton launch) in 2010.

USA Habitation module and Crew Return vehicle plans as well as
    Russian Science Power Platform plans scrapped (budget)
    http://www.christa.org/comet/NASA Lithos/ISS Assembly.jpg

An earlier shuttle launch and EVA in late 2009 installed the amateur radio antennas on the Columbus module.
    In this July 2009 photo, from the center line of ISS modules (not the solar truss which is perpendicular) -- you can see the Japanese Kibo module to the right and the Columbus module to the left.
    http://spaceflight.nasa.gov/gallery/images/station/assembly/hires/s127e011186.jpg

w9gb

Last edited: Feb 15, 2010
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.