ad: elecraft

Charging LiFeP04 batteries below freezing

Discussion in 'General Technical Questions and Answers' started by KD6ZXG, Oct 19, 2021.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: HRDLLC-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
ad: L-Geochron
ad: L-MFJ
  1. KC7JNJ

KC7JNJ Ham Member QRZ Page

The repeater sites I have been are not all that uncomfortable inside in the dead of winter except for the bees that have found a way in. :D

2. KG4RRH

KG4RRH Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Many of the BMS systems inside a fair amount of the larger Li batteries will shut the battery down if an attempt is made to charge them below a preset limit; that's done to protect the battery. What you really need is a heater to keep them warm so that you can charge them.

3. KC6ETE

KC6ETE Ham Member QRZ Page

That could work, but not much accuracy in the settings. The inkbird allows me to set on and off temps etc to one degree.
    And it's inexpensive.

4. WL7PM

WL7PM Ham Member QRZ Page

Remote radio site is a very good application for sealed LEAD-Acid batteries.
    Remote radio mountain top site is a worst case scenario for Lithium Iron Phosphate chemistry.

5. KC6ETE

Please expand on this. I'd like to see your reasoning.

6. WL7PM

WL7PM Ham Member QRZ Page

SLA batteries used in float service are normally expected to give 10 years of trouble free service, with zero maintenance.
    In stationary applications, there is zero weight penalty for Lead Acid chemistry.
    Cold weather of ANY extreme is a non issue with sealed lead acid batteries, whereas Lithium batteries are nearly inert bricks at Zero Fahrenheit.
    Lithium Iron Phospate does have advantages in portable, mobile service, but stationary use in cold climates is NOT a best use case.

KV6O and K8XG like this.
  7. KB4JB

KB4JB XML Subscriber QRZ Page

My other hobby is Radio Control (RC)aircraft where LiPo batteries are heavily used. And, it sounds as if your club "may" be new to using LiPo batteries. If so, the link below will take you to the Academy of Model Aeronautics (AMA) website and a number of articles on the care and feeding of LiPo batteries. If you are already familiar with them, then you are aware that they can be quite dangerous if not handled (used, charging, discharging, storage, etc.) properly.

Please understand that I am not being critical of you or your club. It's just that I know of several instances where a user, or user's home, shop, etc) have caught fire due to improper charging, or the use of the wrong charger. There are other battery chemistries that might be a better choice for your application.

8. KC6ETE

Lithium Polymer (LiPo) is not the same as Lithium Iron Phosphate (LiFePo4)

K8XG likes this.
  9. K8XG

K8XG XML Subscriber QRZ Page

LiFePo4 are the safest of them, no fires, no leaking, low weight, etc. But they are sensitive to cold; which is why post #16 lists the reasons why for a mountain top repeater use are best with Lead Sealed batteries.

10. K8XG

K8XG XML Subscriber QRZ Page

*** Unless they must be carried up the summit by hiking, not driving a truck I could see as the only reason