ad: elecraft

Charger for Raspberry Pi?

Discussion in 'Computers, Hardware, and Operating Systems' started by KN4ACJ, Nov 7, 2020.

ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Subscribe
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-3
ad: l-BCInc
  1. KN4ACJ

KN4ACJ Ham Member QRZ Page

My XOM and I went hunting around the shack to figure out where all my stupid noise is coming from, and we narrowed some of it down to the power supply he has on a RasPi. Right now, we're keeping it unplugged, but he uses that RasPi for a 3d printer server, so he doesn't want to leave it permanently unplugged. Can any of you recommend a good power supply, 5v 3a, that is quiet? Thanks!

2. AG6QR

AG6QR Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

The USBbuddy from Powerwerx works well and is RF quiet. I've got at least eight of them, some powering Raspberry Pis, most near radios. They use Powerpoles on the input side, but you can easily swap them out for any other connector. 10-32VDC in, 5V, 3A out.

KK9W, KC9ONY and KN4ACJ like this.
  3. KN4ACJ

KN4ACJ Ham Member QRZ Page

Fabulous. I'll check that out. Thanks!

4. KA9JLM

KA9JLM Ham Member QRZ Page

Does the noise from the power supply still happen when it is unplugged from the RPi ?

I run a OctoPrint server using a RPi3, The combination of the RPi mounted in a plastic case, And the 3D printer servo motors cause all kinds of RFI.

A supply with the filter helps a lot (Shown below) , But when the printer is running all RFI is about impossible to eliminate totally.

upload_2020-11-8_8-26-21.jpeg

5. WA9SVD

WA9SVD Ham Member QRZ Page

It's not all that hard to build a linear power supply with regulated 5 Volts @ 3 (or 3+) Amperes; perhaps a simple home brew project is a possible option? That should eliminate the P/S as a noise source.

6. KK4NSF

KK4NSF Ham Member QRZ Page

Have you tried putting a ferrite on the cable? I had the same problem, and two ferrites scavanged out of an old power supply cleaned it right up. I always keep a few ferrites in the shack, just for that purpose. They are cheap insurance.

7. KA9JLM

That may work, If you have about 10 for use on all of the 3D printers PWM motor driver wires also.

8. KK4NSF

KK4NSF Ham Member QRZ Page

wow.... yours must be noisier than mine. All I had to use was two on the power cord.

9. WJ4U

WJ4U Subscriber QRZ Page

My Pi is in the basement directly connected to the Wifi router. Don't notice any noise from them upstairs on my rig.

KA9JLM and KK4NSF like this.
  10. KA9JLM

My printer is in its own room.

I do not have problems, Unless I operate a radio in that room. It will tear up a UHF/VHF HT near it.

I do not notice any RFI from it in my shack with my antenna > 100 feet away.

Put a HT (Or AM radio) near your printer and see what you get. If I tune to the correct frequency I can hear the servo motors talking.

Very Cool Sounding really. :cool: