ad: Radclub22-1

Chameleon EmComm II Review and Giveaway!

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by KN6NWZ, Mar 24, 2021.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Radclub22-2
  1. W7DGJ

W7DGJ Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Was the 80m-20m antenna a Buckmaster by any chance?

2. W4EAE

W4EAE XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Not a Buckmaster. Also not exactly hombrewed, but cobbled together and very similar to NI4L's OCF dipole. Resonant on 10, 20, 40, and the low end of 80m.

3. W7DGJ

W7DGJ Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

I just bought the Emcomm because I want to try a wire in a different configuration in a different part of my yard. I have a Buckmaster now, and while that is a "7 Bander" there are some compromises I'm sure, and I'd like to see what I can do with a sloper or some other arrangement in order to reduce band noise and perhaps reach out in a somewhat different direction I get a lot of Texas/Arkansas/Mexico/Central America for some reason presently (must propogate better in that direction).

4. W4EAE

W4EAE XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Comparing the 80m OCF dipole to the EmComm II, I think there are two primary advantages on the side of the EmComm.

Number one would be better resonance on the 80m band. For the OCF to do its job on 40m and 20m, it has to be resonant very close to the bottom on the 80m band. This could necessitate a wide-band tuner above 3.9MHz.

The second advantage of the EmComm (for me) is that less wire in the air means significantly less noise (and almost certainly a better pattern) on 20m, 17m and 10m. I live in a very built up area, and the potential sources of noise are in the thousands.

5. AA5BK

AA5BK Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

thanks for posting! i will check this out.