ad: elecraft

Chameleon DIY Magnetic Loop Starter kit First Build

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by OH8STN, Feb 19, 2017.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: Left-3
ad: abrind-2
  1. OH8STN

OH8STN Ham Member QRZ Page

Thanks KK5JY. I like and agree with both sides of your comment, but even more, I like the way you said it. Comments like those from AD5KO only work to turn new hams away from this community. In fact, if the Zed had a feature like the Facebook 'Block' preventing abusive users from actually viewing or commenting on ones content, haters would be more inclined to behave!

About the starter kit and the video. When I published the teaser video, lots of feedback came in from operators who asked if it would be possible to get their own parts. I said "Of course" and actually started this video over again, to include the statement "You can acquire the components yourself, that's perfectly fine, as this is a learning channel". It's also most the first point made in the video!
    So all these abusive comments are nothing more than the normal hate propagated on qrz.com, by the same old haters, and allowed to fester without ever punishing them. Since it's the internet, there isn't much I can do about it but complain. Back in the day, in real life, bashing a bully in the kneecaps with a lead pipe, well, ...

There are a couple of apples and oranges problems with the your comment, although in principle I agree.
    • I don't want to build a portable magnetic loop using plumbing parts, since a reasonable breakdown size will be difficult to achieve. I deploy from a skipulk or backpack, not a pickup truck so breakdown size is critical, and so is durability.
    • The coax based elements might seem like a foolish way to build a loop, but it's supports the man portable concept and breakdown of the build.
    • Yes you can order a vacuum cap and build a QRO magnetic loop antenna, but I ONLY OPERATE QRP! ;) Still I enjoyed this project so much that I plan on doing another video series later on, using a vacuum cap, stepper motor and Arduino for tuning and low SWR memories... That will be something nice for an FT-857 based field station.
    • Getting all the components for this loop, from one place, with a single shipping charge is actually cheaper for me, than buying all the same components from various outlets. That might not be true to other operators, in other locations around the globe. It is my unfortunately reality. Moreover, I just REFUSE to buy from China if I can avoid it.
    I also need to add, the build was not about the price, the build was focused on achieving certain design goals and practicality for a man portable collapsible loop. Something that would breakdown small enough to fit in my backpack, skipulk, motorcycle top box, ...

Thanks for the very polite and well written reply, KK5JY. It's very much appreciated.

de oh8stn

KK5JY likes this.
  2. AD5KO

AD5KO Ham Member QRZ Page

3. AD5KO

Here is another one...

Very enjoyable read... puts thing in perspective. Tells you how to make a mag loop.

http://www.g4ilo.com/wonder-loop.html

Could do this all night... but instead I will post some more as needed.

4. OH8STN

Actually, here are some good sites to read about magnetic loop antennas
    There are many other pages to get good information. I'll publish them as I get a chance.

de oh8stn

1 person likes this.
  5. KK5JY

KK5JY Ham Member QRZ Page

I'm always happy to talk about magloops. ;)

You made some very good points, and I know people personally who feel very similarly. The KX3 + AlexLoop is a very popular combination.

One thing I will say for the coax-based magloop kits... for someone who is new to magloops, a $99 kit can help build confidence, because it lets the loop newbie start with a single, working antenna, and because it's a kit, they built it themselves. So it can be a good introduction to loop building.

Anyway, we're on the same page, I think. Thanks for sharing your loop project. I would like to see more people experimenting with the more exotic antenna designs.

K1XS and OH8STN like this.
  6. KK5JY

I'll add a shameless plug: http://www.kk5jy.net/magloop/

73 :)

AD5KO and OH8STN like this.
  7. OH8STN

I'm collecting links to all these pages (and yours if you don't mind) to build notes my page.
    I really meant it though, Big Thanks for being polite.

8. KK5JY

Certainly, help yourself. Folks like AA5TB and VK5KLT are the real experts. I just enjoy building antennas, and then talking about it online. ;)

No problem. We all have more in common with other hams than we admit sometimes.

9. AD5KO

10. AD5KO

Well, I have been looking at this stuff on the MFJ site and I have come to the conclusion that I should apologize for the negative comments I have made about this
    Chameleon DIY Magnetic Loop Starter kit.

The prices on the MFJ site are outrageous and in comparison the price for this loop kit is fair, if a little high IMO. But when you look at the price MFJ wants for just a capacitor, perhaps not. The more research I do the better this deal looks.

11. AE7XG

AE7XG Ham Member QRZ Page

After reading through these comments I must say.
    Thank you for upgrading to HF thank you for researching what you like ,then posting. Keep up the good work.
    Who knows you might stumble onto something that will change Mag Loops. Never know until you try.
    Just saying .
    73 AE7XG

12. AD0AC

AD0AC Ham Member QRZ Page

How long is the coax to form the loop?

13. OH8STN

Thanks for the question
    All the measurements are in the in the video.

14. G4HYG

G4HYG XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Hi Julian,
    Good to see that you are keeping busy!
    I'm also looking at mag loops and rather than copy existing designs decided to start from scratch.
    By the way, the hams complaining about the cost of the kit haven't checked the price of new capacitors lately. That's why I'm now designing my own.

The link to my mag loop page is:

http://www.crosscountrywireless.net/hf_magnetic_loop_antenna.html

Chris G4HYG

15. OH8STN

Always nice to see what you're up to Chris. You probably didn't understand the point of the build. It was to help people who wanted to build something like an Alexloop or Chameleon P-Loop to replicate one. That's a starting point. Then hopefully (like me), they get activated with more complex builds.
    I don't care about the cost complainers. Haters ate gonna hate no matter what I do or say.
    73 Chris, still hoping you get that opensource rig done sometime.
    de oh8stn