chain of events

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by KD4AMG, Aug 26, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-3
  1. KD4AMG

KD4AMG Ham Member QRZ Page

I am wondering ( not from a guilty conscience ) what is the chain of events that the FCC does when the rules on amateur and C B frequencies get broken ? What happens first, second, third...what are the popular rumors that never really happens, etc....do they still use ( or did they ever use ) those white Ford vans with government licence plates, and 27 antennas on top , and an air conditioner unit hanging out the rear door ?

2. W8FAX

W8FAX Ham Member QRZ Page

Ask K1MAN...........

3. KD4AMG

[​IMG] thanks but no, i dont think i will ask k1man... i just have always wondered what the chain of events were that would have to occur for some one to get the F C C attention...that is something almost any one with a transmitter would wonder at one time or another, whether cb, amateur, business band or any other type of radio transmitter

4. Guest

Guest Guest

Did I miss something? Who is K1MAN?

5. N0PU

N0PU Guest

6. KE4PJW

KE4PJW Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

When I was working at a 2-way shop as an installer during the mid 90's, the shop manager and I meet 2 guys from the FCC at a local "Old folks home" to remove the monitoring station from atop the building. They had an ICOM R7000 (IIRC) mounted in a box on the roof. There were two phone lines ran to the box. One line was for the modem that controlled the radio and antenna switch. The other line was to listen to the audio from the radio. The antenna mast was mounted on the box and had several "panel" antennas mounted on an box at the top of the mast.

To answer your question amg, these guys were driving a rental car IIRC. [​IMG] They did ask if we knew were any "leaky catv" was in town [​IMG]

7. AE6IP

AE6IP Ham Member QRZ Page

Typically, from what I've read, the FCC doesn't have the resources to police either CB or hams. The ham community is self policing, so the path would be different in both cases, but it comes down to:

a) someone notices out-of-bounds behavior
    b) thinking it extreme enough, they complain
    c) the claim is investigated
    d) if it seems true the offender gets a letter asking them to fix the problem.
    e) if they don't, then the FCC takes legal action, as appropriate to the behavior.

at least that's how it seems to operate. Hams have a slightly different approach that involves an official observer noticing the problem and sending a friendly note but it comes to the same thing

8. W5ALT

W5ALT Ham Member QRZ Page

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (KA5CME @ Aug. 26 2003,21:51)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Did I miss something?  Who is K1MAN?[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    Actually K1MAN answered my CQ on 15m back in Dec 1978. Never did send a QSL, though.

9. KD4AMG

[​IMG] how does the average &quot;pissed off &quot; john doe complain to the FCC ? Do they phone them at their regional office, or send them a letter through the mail, or send them an audio cassette / cd with the offence for the FCC to listen to , or do they e - mail the FCC ? I would guess the FCC gets enough reports by 12 noon on an average day to keep them busy for 4 more, so if you complain by Monday at noon, they already have enough VALID complaints to keep them busy for the rest of that week ! [​IMG]

10. Guest

Guest Guest

It's a very good question, just what does the FCC Enforcement Department really and honestly do.

Some individuals have been complaining and furnishing documents, log's and mag tape recordings for as long as 9 years. Zero results.

What more can I say, other than this, I've furnished them for 3 plus years. Zero results AND is it worth it doing Governments tasked jobs. It is depressing.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.