CEPT Novice Band Plan/Privileges

Discussion in 'On-Air Operations - Q&A' started by W2MJR, Mar 24, 2020.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-2
ad: l-BCInc
  1. W2MJR

W2MJR XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Does anyone have a clear and precise band plan chart for CEPT Novice Privileges in Europe?

We're planning on going on vacation across Europe once the health crisis ends, and as a General here in the US, I'd like to be able to take a radio with me. I just haven't been able to find any precise or clear band limits and privileges as to be in compliance with the terms of reciprocity.

Thanks all.

2. K7MEM

K7MEM Ham Member QRZ Page

Well that's an easy one. According to the ARRL web page on CEPT:

"There is no equivalent CEPT class for the US Technician or Novice license, therefore a US Technician or Novice licensee is not eligible to operate under CEPT reciprocity."

But there is further information on that web page that pertains to US General licenses, and above. You may be able to get more information by following the links.

My experience with operating in Germany is grossly out of date and will not provide any useful information.

WG7X likes this.
  3. W2MJR

W2MJR XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Correct, but that wasn't my question. As a licensed U.S. General, I am permitted under the reciprocal agreement to operate, but only within CEPT's Novice/Foundation level privileges. I am looking for the applicable band plan applied to European stations with the CEPT Novice/Foundation level license, which is what my FCC General Class is reciprocal to.

Unfortunately I've been trying to research it for several months and have been unable to find a clear definition of bands, band limits, and modes permissible.

4. K7GQ

K7GQ Subscriber QRZ Page

The correct information can be found on a web-site with a link to a DARC document:

https://www.iaru-r1.org/reference/operating-abroad/ (search for the first occurrence of "DARC" on this page)

The PDF can be download if you care for DropBox (I don't), otherwise you can view the lengthy document. Be aware that CEPT privileges are specific by country.

5. K7MEM

Yes, I see where my error is now. I see that a CEPT Novice license is a different animal, than what I though it was. Things have changed so much since I was in Europe.

I operated with a German reciprocal license, as DA2EU, for several years. At the time, all that was required was a US Novice license, and residency, to obtain a German Class A license.

What am I missing? Why do you need Dropbox? I don't care for, or use, DropBox either. But I don't see any requirement to use it. I'm just curious.

6. K7GQ

K7GQ Subscriber QRZ Page

When I clicked on the DARC PDF link, I was informed that I needed to install DropBox or sign in, or "view" the PDF (which I did).

7. K7MEM

OK, I see the link your talking about. I clicked on the DARC PDF link and did get the screen that asked me to install DropBox or sign in. I just ignored that screen and in a few seconds the screen for viewing the PDF appeared. Then, at the bottom of the document, there was a viewing menu. On the menu is a icon for a printer. I clicked on the icon and the PDF downloaded.

It's an odd way to do it, but it can be downloaded without installing DropBox or signing in.