Cell Phone Passive Repeater?

Discussion in 'General Technical Questions and Answers' started by KC4HGH, Aug 11, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
ad: L-MFJ
ad: l-BCInc
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
  1. LIONSHINING

LIONSHINING QRZ Member

2. KR2D

KR2D Ham Member QRZ Page

A second land line works just fine. That's what we do here. No dropped or noisy calls to give your clients a bad impression.

And don't get me started on VOIP - some of my colleagues use VOIP for business, and at times, it is impossible to have a conversation with them due to echo and dropouts. Low bit rates and compression don't help, either.

3. KR2D

KR2D Ham Member QRZ Page

My landline plans have unlimited long distance time to any USA phone number on any network.

Cell phone minute usage varies with the plan - carriers are offering "Friends and Family" type options, where you get unlimited minutes to certain numbers. On most plans from Verizon, night and weekend minutes are unlimited.

4. KB9JXZ

KB9JXZ Ham Member QRZ Page

Just try it

I have installed several passive systems. A good beam or corner reflector on a tower and a run of LMR-400 to a nice ceiling mount omni works well in most cases. I even have one at my house. I have a beam at 90 feet pointed to the cell tower and a run of 1/2 hardline that feeds an omni in the shack.
    Wilson sells good dual/tri band antennas. And yes I have installed many of the active systems , Wilson included, If you go with an active system you need really good isolation between the antennas. Most of these amps are in the order of 50-60 db. You also need the correct band/bands and a lot of people don't know that if it's a Nextel you need the new 900mhz portion also not just the iden band.
    A good multi band passive system does not care who your carrier is :)

Good luck,
    Mike Froehlich
    KB9JXZ

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.