CDE/HAM IV Rotor Control

Discussion in 'Antennas, Feedlines, Towers & Rotors' started by VE2CY, Aug 31, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Subscribe
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-2
ad: K5AB-Elect-1
  1. NG1H

NG1H Ham Member QRZ Page

PS - I don't know why multiple copies of the image are shown. Viewing the post there are only two files uploaded.

2. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

I'm not saying it's aliens...but it's aliens.

WA7PRC likes this.
  3. VE2CY

VE2CY Ham Member QRZ Page

I'm not sure about aliens, I think it is gremlins !

If I turn it on while cold, it behaves itself, but after a minute or two the "drift" sets in (although the big bounces are not currently happening). There are not that many components to go wonkey, but I can't imagine which one would cause this.
    It was banged around in shipping - is there fragile components in the meter itself?

4. AA5MT

AA5MT Ham Member QRZ Page

Let it just sit for awhile. Does it drift around a central point, or continue to drift up/down? I've seen the large 1 watt resistor do this. I only know it was this because it was the last remaining part to change! It couldn't be that, so I changed it anyway.

More common is the voltage regulator, filter cap, and a dirty contact on the cal pot. It will drift the same in normal or calibrate if it is the control box.

As mentioned above, you can monitor the voltage on pin 3 or 7 to see if the rotator pot is drifting.

Tom

5. VE2CY

Hello Tom - okay, left the antenna at north, and when first turned on, the controller said north. Less than a minute later, it had drifted to 60 degrees, then 75 .. so far always in the same direction. Then it started floating 5-10 degs in both directions. It has progressed to 90 degs now.
    So, in your case, it was the resistor that was causing it? Good old Murphy's eh, the last component you changed !!!
    Well, it seems to have settled for the moment on 90 degs, with a slight tremor. ... and the rotator pot is steady, no drift.

So in your case, the resistor was deteriorating?

Okay, 20 mins later and it drifted back to 75, with some sporadic fluctuations or bounces ... I think I will replace the R1 390 ohm resistor.

Joe

Last edited: Sep 10, 2019
  6. K7MH

K7MH Ham Member QRZ Page

The thing about that is, you will find all of the ball bearings you dropped from the rotor except two of them!!:mad:

WA7PRC likes this.
  7. K9STH

K9STH Platinum Subscriber Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

MH:

I beat you by 1 ball bearing! Many years ago, when I took my first Ham-M rotor apart, I found all but 1 of the bearings!

Glen, K9STH

K7MH likes this.
  8. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

It takes a lot of balls to make a rotator.

VA7UO likes this.
  9. K9STH

K9STH Platinum Subscriber Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

WIK:

Grooooooan! Go sit in a corner for 15-minutes as punishment for such a baaaaad joke! :p

Glen, K9STH

10. VE2CY

Okay, you guys are breaking me up with your un-bearing-able jokes .... as a final note, perhaps, the gremlins have settled down, and the control box works as normal if I keep the power off until I want to move the beam - I turn it on, make the direction change, and then turn it off, all smoothly. I guess something heats up if I leave it on for more than 1/2 minutes ? Note the greatest, but it works for me, hi hi.