CD 45 Rotor Meter North to South at Center of Meter Change

Discussion in 'General Technical Questions and Answers' started by N8FVJ, Jun 15, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: K5AB-Elect-1
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Subscribe
  1. N8FVJ

N8FVJ Ham Member QRZ Page

I want to change my CD45 rotor to read south at the meter center because I am located in northern USA. It saves time going from southwest to southeast beam headings. Do I need to swap the meter wires to change meter direction and if so what wire numbers need changing?

2. AA4PB

AA4PB Ham Member QRZ Page

You have to change the meter scale in the control box to a South centered one. As I recall, some of the meters had a South centered scale on the opposite side so you can take the meter apart and flip the scale card. Others were shipped with a South centered scale card in the packing box so you may be able to find one from one of the rotor rebuild outfits or possibly on Ebay. Once you have the South centered card in place, calibrate the rotor and turn it to South. Then mechanically change your beam heading on the mast to South. No wires to change, it's all mechanical.

3. K9STH

K9STH Platinum Subscriber Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

That doesn't work!

If you remove the meter face there should be a scale with south at the center. Reattach the meter face.

Then, you are going to have to climb the tower, loosen the "U" bolts that hold the mast in place. Next, rotate the array 180-degrees and then re-tighten the "U" bolts.

Reversing the meter leads will only get the control box out of sync. The whole array has to be manually reset otherwise you will just be 180-degrees off of what the meter is reading.

Glen, K9STH

4. N8FVJ

Thanks Glenn. It is not installed yet. Old meter face did not have south center on other side. I have a new scale with south at center.

5. K9STH

K9STH Platinum Subscriber Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

FVJ:

Not having the "other" meter scale on the back of the scale on the control head is something relatively new with the rotors. I looked at the parts list and there is a separate meter face for the south-center alignment. Is the rotor new and did it come with the south-center meter face? Or, are they now charging extra for the meter face?

Glen, K9STH

6. WB8NQW

WB8NQW Ham Member QRZ Page

Quick and dirty fix. Place press-on dry stick letters on the face of the meter. The actual degrees really do not matter. Typical beam width is 10-20 degrees either side of center. Besides once you get close to the direction you want you are probably going to watch the S-meter and rotate for maximum signal.

Bob

KA0HCP likes this.
  7. N8FVJ

Thanks Bob, but I already own the meter face so I will use it.

8. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

I wouldn't become south-centric.

Just spent the last week in "the south.":p

9. WA9SVD

WA9SVD Ham Member QRZ Page

South is just the opposite of "North." If the rotator is capable of 360° it should read correctly. Of course, going from 345° to 270° or similar may take a bit of time. Then ahain, IF you are working "long-path," a more Northern direction may be of appeal.

10. N8FVJ

Most contacts are south to southwest and southeast.