CB Operators Get It...Why Can't Ham's?

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by WD9IDV, May 24, 2020.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: FBNews-1
ad: Left-3
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-2
  1. WI4MM

WI4MM Ham Member QRZ Page

2. WE4B

WE4B Ham Member QRZ Page

Oh boy... this is gonna open a can of worms!

WG7X likes this.
  3. WI4MM

WI4MM Ham Member QRZ Page

Some of my best DX contacts have been on 14 mhz on a silent band calling CQ including R1ANT, well beyond the gray line.

4. KC3PFQ

KC3PFQ Ham Member QRZ Page

Is that good or bad? I don’t fish...

5. K3XR

K3XR Ham Member QRZ Page

Such negative feelings about a hobby. If it were my feelings I would go looking for a more positive pastime.

K8PG and WE4B like this.
  6. N2HUN

N2HUN Ham Member QRZ Page

When the CB band is open here I then check 28.1 - 28.3 mHz for any beacons. Many times this part of the band is "dead" also; possibly the MUF has not risen high enough.

You can always call CQ on a dead band; heck I once called CQ on 6m CW and got a response from a VE6, he was the only one coming through. Keep listening and try a few CQs.

WN1MB likes this.
  7. KI4ODO

KI4ODO XML Subscriber QRZ Page

This past week I was tracked out of work, and it was a rainy, relaxing day in the shack. I like spinning the dial on days like that just to see what's happening on the air. So after calling CQ some on 10m, which I do often, I decided to tune down to the 11m band and just gauge the activity. There was tons of folks on there. Some just chit chatting local, and some working that "skip land", which for them is anyone outside of your own state I guess. But there was a ton of activity. My thoughts were that if they have this much activity on 11m, using primarily AM and some SSB, where are even some hams on 10? I'm gonna keep calling CQ and just hope someone checks a cluster or something and sees that yes, there are folks working 10m,,,,or at least trying.

It did make me wonder something, and I'm not trashing CB folks. But back in the day when I was a kid and lots of folks used CBs, they had "handles". Like rubber duck, or grass cutter, or something like that. Now they use numbers. Short ones. Like 128, or 852 or just whatever. I actually heard two with the same number talk. Seems like that would get confusing. But I guess it's no different than two guys both called Midnight Rider or something lol.

Last edited: May 25, 2020
    WD9IDV likes this.
  8. WG7X

WG7X Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

CB radio: Always good for a trash thread on "da Zed"!

W4NNF, K8PG and K3XR like this.
  9. VK4HAT

VK4HAT Ham Member QRZ Page

I dont see my views as negative, just reality. And even so, my hobby is mentally stimulating, rewarding and i am rather active in spite of some people in it, not because of them. If anything i am already doing a different ham radio to the self endulged man children. This hobby gives me a lot, its why i did not walk away years ago, even though many other newbies in my time did. They could not overcome the people, i could.

Last edited: May 25, 2020
    N5AVF and WD9IDV like this.
  10. W2AI

W2AI QRZ Lifetime Member #240 Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

Doomed thread in progress.......