CB Operators Get It...Why Can't Ham's?

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by WD9IDV, May 24, 2020.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: FBNews-1
  1. WD9IDV

WD9IDV Ham Member QRZ Page

10, 12 and 15 meters are virtually dead (hypothetically). However, time and time again, I hear plenty
    of activity on 10 meters and at the same time 10, 12, and 15 are completely quite.

My point is that if the CBer's on 11 meters are utilizing their band, how come we "hams"
    very rarely even try to call CQ on 10, 12, and 15 meters.

Granted 10, 12 and 15 meters spring alive on contests. Okay, maybe not 12 meters.
    But that's it.

We need to get out of our comfort zones and venture into the higher bands regardless of
    sunspot cycle conditions. Who knows, maybe we might just be on the other end of a DX pileup.
    I have personally experienced this on numerous occasions because I am the only USA ham who is calling CQ.

W2YM, NL7W, KA0USE and 2 others like this.
  2. KU4X

KU4X Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Rather presumptuous on your part, don't you think?

And the CBers are using their band because, just maybe, it is the only band available to them.

And therein lies the beauty of Amateur Radio...plenty of bands for everyone.

Regards,
    -Bruce

KB2SMS, KE5ES, W9BRD and 12 others like this.
  3. KL7AJ

KL7AJ XML Subscriber QRZ Page

CB has been just as dead up here for decades

NK2U, AC0OB, KL7KN and 1 other person like this.
  4. W1VT

W1VT Ham Member QRZ Page

I've been busy rebuilding my six meter antennas. Already have 128 contacts and three new countries on 6M this season, pushing my worked total to 39 countries.
    I only have two dozen switch positions, so I'll be swapping the 10M N/S dipole for a third 6M antenna aimed due West. I'll be down to two dipoles and a vertical on 10M.
    If there is a band opening to Zone 23 on 10M I can always run out and swap feedlines.
    I'm hoping that one day I'll catch a 6M opening at European Sunrise so I can work a bunch of new countries without having to compete in huge pileups.

I have the same issue on 80/160, as the openings often overlap during peak times. I just got 8R1 confirmed via LoTW for country number 141 on 160M.

Zak W1VT

Last edited: May 24, 2020
    VK6ZGO, KU4X, WA3GWK and 1 other person like this.
  5. N3HGB

N3HGB Ham Member QRZ Page

In other news, FRS radios stick to FRS and airplanes all talk on the aircraft band. They use 11 meters because that is the only band their radios HAVE ;)

AC0OB and PU2OZT like this.
  6. WD9IDV

Bruce,
    I am not being presumptuous, just stating my observations.
    Like I said before, I can be on 15 or 10m and even 12m and be the only
    USA ham operator working DX . And guess what, I am the DX because no
    other USA hams are on those bands.

Given the small amount of QRZ look ups for you, I can see you do not operate much.

1 person likes this.
  7. WA4SIX

WA4SIX Ham Member QRZ Page

I think that was being made is that CBers are talking all over the eastern US right now & hams are barely utilizing the upper bands at all.
    When I go through the bands on my IC-7000, it has 27.385LSB as one frequency to scan. Pretty much every day, it's jammed.
    I try the calling CQ on the 10M calling frequency & nothing.
    Heck, I get better results on 6 meters than 10 meters.

Ed

K8XG, NL7W and WD9IDV like this.
  8. WD9IDV

Zak,
    Good job on the 6m antennas. Had a great opening on 6m a few weeks ago.
    Even had some activity on 10m too. Seemed to open up around 3 in the afternoon here in the Midwest.

9. WE4B

WE4B Ham Member QRZ Page

Very subjective statements with no objectivity.

AC0OB likes this.
  10. NN4RH

NN4RH Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Don't know what this means "...virtually dead (hypothetically)" .

There is activity on 15 meters, at least, because I am listening to it right now.

12 & 10 - I don't know. I don't have antennas for those right now. But we should be getting in the Sporadic E season shortly if we aren't already.

CB - Just scanned the band (or channels). Nothing heard.

AC0OB likes this.