CB antenna to 2 meter

Discussion in 'On the Road' started by KD2ERR, Sep 21, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: HRDLLC-2
ad: L-Geochron
ad: Left-2
  1. KJ4PIU

KJ4PIU Ham Member QRZ Page

I have to say 2nd on the Hustler. It takes a lot of abuse and I use it on my 18 wheel mobile with no problems.

2. KK4YDR

KK4YDR XML Subscriber QRZ Page

can you explain how you did this exactly? Loading coil no loading coil? What length? I havent taken mine apart but its just sitting on my car disconnected for about 6 months now.

3. K8ERV

K8ERV QRZ Member QRZ Page

Be sure the coax braid is attached to the metal foil disc that is located at the BOTTOM of the magnet so it capacitively couples to the car. I had one where the foil was on top of the magnet, big mistake.

And check your results with a SWR meter.

TOM K8ERV Montrose Colo

4. KK4YDR

KK4YDR XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Is that in reply to my question or someone else?

5. K8ERV

K8ERV QRZ Member QRZ Page

It was for ERR who wants to do the conversion.

TOM K8ERV Montrose Colo

6. KJ6LXX

KJ6LXX Ham Member QRZ Page

But what if you want to go back to CB good buddy? :rolleyes:

7. K8MHZ

K8MHZ Ham Member QRZ Page

This is how you treat a newcomer? It's the person's first post, for Pete's sake.

8. KJ6LXX

KJ6LXX Ham Member QRZ Page

Your absolutely right. Didn't notice that. But still no excuse.

My apologies.

I just got on someone else for the same thing.
    (no RCC has left us a little empty :() ....:)

7 3

9. K8MHZ

First off, welcome to QRZ.

To give you some viable possibilities, we really need to know what type of cb antenna you have. Different configurations will require different modifications. Some mods may not be easy, especially if there are loading coils involved.

In essence, what you are trying to do is to make an antenna that is electrically more than 5 times longer than your desired band and make it shorter. While that sounds like a simple task, electrically shorter is not the same as physically shorter.

2 meter mag mount antennas are cheap. If it were me, I would get a new 2 meter antenna and try to make the 11 meter antenna work on 10 meters.

Do you need a 2 meter mobile antenna, or are you just looking for an experiment to do? That will skew the cost x effort / benefit ratio a bit.

10. K8MHZ

I heard the first three days were the worst. :cool:

When former CBers come here looking for advice, I think we need to give some forethought as to whether or not our response will encourage them to put their 11 meter antics behind them and join us in our perfect bliss, or will it chase them away while they are shaking their heads in response to some unwarranted, unexpected hostility. Hostility they may have likely been attempting to escape by working for a privilege to operate on a band and expect some positive return on their efforts.

Instead of ribbing them about their CB past, how about showing them how much better ham radio is by working with them to get them to realize that ham radio is vastly superior to CB and much more fun on so many levels?

KF5YUB likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.