ad: vanity

CB antenna to 2 meter

Discussion in 'On the Road' started by KD2ERR, Sep 21, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: HRDLLC-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: L-Geochron
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-3
  1. KD2ERR

KD2ERR Ham Member QRZ Page

How do I covert a mobile cb antenna to a 2 meter?

2. K8ERV

K8ERV QRZ Member QRZ Page

What type? If a mag mount, remove (bypass) any loading coil (in the base?) and cut to about 19".

TOM K8ERV Montrose Colo

3. BH3MDE

BH3MDE Ham Member QRZ Page

Are there have any body like to use mobile on Echolink .

4. KD8SLQ

KD8SLQ Ham Member QRZ Page

If the antenna is long enough you could cut it to 47.5 in for a 5/8 wave antenna.

5. WS6KW

WS6KW Ham Member QRZ Page

This is great to know. I have a CB antenna just lying around and I still have the mount and the coax in the Jeep.

6. KD8NGE

KD8NGE Ham Member QRZ Page

Use of available resources is an ancient and honored ham radio tradition. Kudos for exploring this possibility!

KF5YUB and KA3PYL like this.
  7. KD5FLN

KD5FLN Ham Member QRZ Page

Would be a lot easier to just order a Hustler SF-2. It's a 5/8 wave all stainless steel base loaded whip antenna with a threaded 3/8X24 base which is the same as most CB antenna's. Its 49" long and can handle 100 wattts and designed for 2 meter.

I used to be a OTR truck driver and this was the best antenna I tried.

8. KK4VMM

KK4VMM Ham Member QRZ Page

I've been told this by others as well. Would it be possible to make a 1/2 wave antenna from a 102" CB whip as well? I assume you could if you can make a 1/4 wave and 5/8 wave. If so, what would the length have to be for that? I'm looking for a cheap 1/2 wave option to fit in my current CB setup. I bought a 2 meter, 1/4 wave firestik, but haven't been overly impressed with it's performance. I'm thinking a 1/2 wave would perform better. 5/8 is a little too tall for my taste.

Thanks!

9. K0TOM

K0TOM Ham Member QRZ Page

The 1/2 and 5/8 wavelengths will require a matching network, as they are nowhere near 50 ohms. I believe a 5/8 will be 150 ohms, the 1/2 higher yet (450?). I had a 5/8 that had a coil of (guessing) #16 solid, 6 turns .75" dia x 1.75" long. Ground at bottom, coax tapped in at 2 turns, antenna connected to the top. It would be impressive if one could convert the loading coil on the cb antenna to a matching network.

Also, the 5/8 will be quite a bit better than a 1/2 wave, and a 1/2 wave may be trouble on a vehicle as it is normally used WITHOUT a ground plane.

The commercial dual banders (144 & 440) are about 34" high and are 5/8 on 144. The center coil loads it properly on 144 to emulate the full 5/8 length, and on 440 the top and bottom halves are full 5/8 and the coil causes them to be in-phase. These are very popular for a reason. I use a 2m antenna that is 2 stacked 5/8 waves, SUPER performance but it is 98" total.

Tom KD0CZK
    WAS mobile in 53 days, see www.omis.net
    I hope you can get your mod done and working.

10. WC5B

WC5B Ham Member QRZ Page

One of the best 2m mobile antennas I ever had was a Lil'Wil mag mount that I cut down. It just worked! It was awful on CB anyways. Go figure lol

MM6OEC likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.