CB’rs on 28.000Mhz plus? What can be done about this?

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by WB4JHS, Oct 9, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-3
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: HRDLLC-2
ad: L-Geochron
  1. KD8DEY

KD8DEY Ham Member QRZ Page

And the location where "Extra Fine" first came up with the idea of building the Rainbow Undersea Cucumber....

WZ7U likes this.
  2. KA9JLM

KA9JLM Ham Member QRZ Page

Sometimes it may take 5 kW to talk over them.

I am surprised he said that was OK. :rolleyes:

3. WZ7U

WZ7U Ham Member QRZ Page

Always amazed when ham radio operators conveniently disregard the lawbreakers within ham radio by deflecting that attention to CBers and more amazed when we are expected to accept this two faced nonsense with a straight face.

KD8TUT, KD8OSD, K8HIT and 2 others like this.
  4. KE0GXN

KE0GXN XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Yowzers!

5. WZ7U

WZ7U Ham Member QRZ Page

No, bazinga. :D

6. KC3EPA

KC3EPA Ham Member QRZ Page

I listen to Websdr.
    I use the Washington DC site as I am very close by and can see at a glance what my possibilities are since I am 21 miles from SDR receiver.
    I will go to the 10 meter link which also includes the CB band.
    I find when the CB band band is extremely active including DX just not local there is a greater chance that the 10 meter band may be open but it is not absolute.

If I see a high degree of CB activity I will call CQ on 10 and sometimes get many responses from those who thought it was dead but actually the silence was do to non use.

In any case it appears in the majority of cases that the CB band is still better for DX and the frequencies slightly above and below 11 meters are better at this point for DX until the sun becomes spottier.

I do hear and listen and see from the SDR scope that many have extremely wide bandwidths and possible splatter and high output by visualizing the SDR scope..

There are many who talk about various linear amps.
    The ones who have a KW amp say they get about 250 watts on AM side.
    There are some who say they use a audio amplifier in series with power supply of linear and just dead key and then modulate linear.
    I do not know of the actual working or it is boast of reality but they claim 1000 watts AM..
    I can say these people do light up the SDR scope.

I did notice one voice that I have heard on 388x AM on the CB band and the voice was familiar.

I do remember many years ago when the FCC did a little more enforcement of Illegal CB OPERATORS and from conversation that the operator was caught not by direction finding alone but by the reporting of actual address by the complaintant
    Many of these operators are in crime ridden neighborhoods and not all but the Fed's like to keep out of these areas.
    Parking in the hood even with credentials does not insure safety.

Yes they can use triangulation readings and db/m to pin your location and power with a good degree of accuracy but they do not waste the money and time.
    Kind of hard to collect a fine for some one on food stamps or such and the Social Services Dept is not going to deny benefits or fins is not met if children are receiving benefits.
    I am not saying all perpetrators are welfare recipients just using as made up scenario.
    If you are caught
    in a 400K home the penalty will be coming .

7. KA9JLM

KA9JLM Ham Member QRZ Page

They do not need to use triangulation now a days.

The Gov can look straight down using a satellite to find your location.

They can see the tubes glowing in your amp too.

They have bigger fish to fry.

8. KD8DEY

KD8DEY Ham Member QRZ Page

Don't forget about that I.C. chip that nobody can identify, that is actually a digitally signed GPS enabled transponder..

9. ND6M

ND6M Ham Member QRZ Page

It's already "on" the internet, in Part 97:D

Yeah, I remember that too. I seem to remember that he used the words "no" or "lack" of legal standing.

Sure, that "sounded good" at some hamfest (was it Dayton 1999?)

However, he was incorrect.
    There is no such regulation that supports that concept.
    Even a first year law student knows what "ANY" means.

AC0OB and WE4E like this.
  10. K3XR

K3XR Ham Member QRZ Page

Glen and post #53 have it correct. I would take the word of Riley Hollingsworth, K4ZDH, Retired Special Counsel to the FCC. Others may wish to consult a "first year law student".

Sorry, I missed the reference from Glen or Hollingsworth about exceeding the legal power requirement.