Catalina upgrade to 10.15.6 nuked Silab driver

Discussion in 'Mac Ham Radio on macOS & iOS' started by N0FY, Sep 19, 2020.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
ad: abrind-2
  1. N0FY

N0FY XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Am I the only one that lost the Silab driver for my IC7300 with the latest upgrade?
    Is it still there and I need to reload it?? I don't see it in the USB drivers. Tks

2. K3DCW

K3DCW QRZ Lifetime Member #212 Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

3. N0FY

N0FY XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Just to clarify my Mac is only severals months old so the driver was loaded about a month ago. I was just surprised to see it nuked by the software update. The update didn't nuke the Prolific or FTDI drivers, wonder why?

4. K5EMG

K5EMG XML Subscriber QRZ Page

All SisLab and FTDI drivers are included with Catalina / Mojave, don't install any of those driver or you will made a mess and the included driver will not load.

5. K3DCW

K3DCW QRZ Lifetime Member #212 Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

FTDI drivers yes, but I don't believe that the SILab drivers are. I've always installed the SILabs drivers separately and have never "made a mess" of my system nor had problems with them loading.

6. K3DCW

I'd be surprised if the updated "nuked" your driver. I've never seen a macOS do such a thing unless the driver was very old and unsigned. From where did you download the SILabs driver before?

And, if you do reinstall the driver, it is VERY important that you do not have the 7300 connected to the Mac. I don't mean just powered off: it must be physically disconnected from the Mac in order for the driver to install correctly. Finally, if you install a new driver after disconnected the 7300, you may need to authorize it to load (the first time only) in the General tab of the Security & Privacy pane in System Preferences.

N1MHD and WF7A like this.
  7. N1MHD

N1MHD Ham Member QRZ Page

I think I have a similar issue.

8. MM0LQF

MM0LQF XML Subscriber QRZ Page

My Yaesu SCU-17 has a silicon labs chipset and has also stopped working with my mac, since the update

9. KA9JLM

KA9JLM Ham Member QRZ Page

It sounds like macOS is trying to keep up with Windows 10. :rolleyes:

A new computer should fix the problem. o_O