Cat5e vs Cat6 vs Cat7

Discussion in 'General Technical Questions and Answers' started by KB7QPS, Apr 20, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: DLSpec-1
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Subscribe
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
  1. KB2SUJ

KB2SUJ Ham Member QRZ Page

Was it Schrödinger's?

2. KF5LJW

KF5LJW Ham Member QRZ Page

That is because it is antiquated and they are looking for suckers, err I mean customers to buy it and get off their shelves.

3. KB2SUJ

KB2SUJ Ham Member QRZ Page

An HD movie needs about 50MB max (realistically, about 10MB) to view it with no buffering. A CAT 5 wire at a minimum will handle twice that. If it is just one computer in the garage, it is more than adequate. If you have a dozen PC's all D/L at once, you may run into headroom issues. Very few WiFi can transmit at the bandwidth of CAT5, meaning the limiting factor is not the cabling.
    You will be fine. Though since you are burying the wire, I'd lay more than one and test the wire as you bury . Make sure there is no strain on it. I ran a outlets to my back yard fence years ago. 150'. I laid 2 CAT5 in the ground, just because the trench was there. Right next to the power cable. No induced power or noise. Works fine today.

4. NE1U

NE1U Ham Member QRZ Page

THIS is the upscale cable ... only because you asked.

5. KT1F

KT1F Ham Member QRZ Page

Someone told me that if you're taking a network cable to another building you really need to be careful and know what you're doing in terms of grounding. I don't know if that always applies going from house to garage but I believe fiber is a good alternative that avoids grounding issues.

6. NG1H

NG1H Ham Member QRZ Page

I have personally measured a 0.7V difference between two grounds on adjacent buildings. So, yes, grounding can be a problem. Not maybe from a safety viewpoint but definitely from a data/audio/video aspect. As to whether fiber is a solution, well, I have my doubts. The main purpose for which I've used fiber links was long distance. For shorter runs one of the XXXXBase T variants would get the job done.

7. K6CLS

K6CLS Ham Member QRZ Page

Perhaps.

10/100/1000 Ethernet is restricted to 100 meters per segment for electrical (drivers, capacitance, voltage loss, etc.) and time of flight considerations.

8. N1EN

N1EN Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

At Cat 9? No.

At Cat F? Maybe.

(Base 16 is a wonderful thing.)

9. KM1H

KM1H Ham Member QRZ Page

I used shielded Cat5e in runs of 250' to an equipment trailer out back and then up ~150' including voltage to a 2.4 and later 5.6GHz link on the tower. The run from the house was part of a thick bundle of CATV hardline, plus several rotator and relay switch box cables. That was fine for very good performance in the days of WIN 98SE and XP and sure beat the 56 kb modem and Verizon over the about 10 years the link was available. My tower was a relay point over this high ridge and my Internet was free until the company failed with the advent of Comcast expansions.

I dont remember what speeds I recorded but they were quite fast for my needs which included movies

Carl

KA9JLM likes this.
  10. K6BRN

K6BRN XML Subscriber QRZ Page

A lot of Cat 5 cable is still being produced. We use hundreds of feet of it at work for mobile/remote testing where we have to carry all the gear with us. It's compatible with Gigabit Ethernet, of course, even if it does not fully exploit the distance x speed potential. I've had no problems with 100 foot runs (but then, we're NOT watching two HD movies at once). I use it for a POE security system with resolution much greater than HD, and it works fine - longest run is 100 feet. It's relatively light. It's pretty durable. And not too expensive.

Would I install CAT5 in a modern, data-intensive building infrastructure backbone, where signal quality and bandwidth was leveraged over the entire business? No, I'd use premium cable. And multiple, redundant runs, and multiple cross-limked routers.

But, this is amateur radio and home use, right? So... a few compromises still lead to OK solutions.

Brian - K6BRN