Carnival Cruise Lines does not allow amateur radios

Discussion in 'On the Road' started by KZ4V, Jan 30, 2017.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Subscribe
ad: l-assoc
ad: l-BCInc
  1. NC4WB

NC4WB Ham Member QRZ Page

I just tried with Princess (March 2018). The answer is an emphatic "All ham radio equipment will be confiscated and returned when you disembark." Getting the Bermudian Reciprocal Agreement is quite easy, getting other countries is mostly easy (except Mexico or St Lucia), but cruise ships have become much more paranoid. Oh, well; a "sign of the times"...

2. N8AFT

N8AFT Subscriber QRZ Page

It's their boat.

3. WD0BCT

WD0BCT Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

And...... radio equipment could be used to call in your terrorist buddies with guns in rubber boats.
    I think it is a sign of the times.

4. N8AFT

N8AFT Subscriber QRZ Page

Being cautious is hardly paranoia...
    Pirates on the high seas are a very real threat.

5. W5PFG

W5PFG Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

The drunks and their antics aboard are far greater liability.

I take the prohibition of radio to be more a result of corporate "fear of the unknown."

Maybe it's an easy way to shut down a nuisance issue. Who knows? Maybe one ham decades ago ruined it for us all.

US7IGN likes this.
  6. G3YRO

G3YRO Ham Member QRZ Page

Why would you need to get another Licence or Callsign to operate on a ship?

Surely you can just operate your Home call /MM ? (no matter where in the world you are, or where the vessel is registered)

Or is there some restriction in your US Licence Conditions?

Our British Licence is very straightforward these days . . . you can operate from any vessel and simply sign /MM . . . all you need is the Master's permission.

Roger G3YRO

7. KW4GT

KW4GT Ham Member QRZ Page

Absolutely. I just got back from a cruise and there were far far too many different things available for my enjoyment than to worry about playing radio.

To be honest, before we left for the cruise I was thinking about how much fun it would be to have a rig on board (this was my first cruise, the wife was finally able to talk me into it). Once I was on the ship I realized that I'd survive just fine for a week with no radio gear.

WG7X likes this.
  8. WD0BCT

WD0BCT Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

That's the problem....if the cruise line says "no radios"....they mean what the say. And from the discussion here more than a few cruise lines no longer allow transmitters.

9. US7IGN

US7IGN Ham Member QRZ Page

Does somebody tried just move to crew member who work with ship radio and ask permit go on the air on amateur band?

WD0BCT likes this.
  10. N0TZU

N0TZU Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

If I was the Master, I wouldn't allow it either. He or she is responsible for thousands of passengers, the crew, and the ship. He doesn't know you from Adam and has no idea of the type of radio equipment you will be operating, your abilities to do so properly, or even your intentions in using it.

For all he knows the radio equipment could cause GPS problems, or interfere with the GMDSS system, or have some other effect on the ship's systems or other passengers, leaving the ship with compromised navigation, communications or something else. Taking even a tiny risk of such consequences for the sake of one hobbyist's pleasure would be extremely poor judgement, IMO.

N8AFT likes this.