Carnival Cruise Lines does not allow amateur radios

Discussion in 'On the Road' started by K4YCX, Jan 30, 2017.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
  1. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Whether it's "worth the effort" or not depends, I think, on how long you'll be on the open seas and not in port. In port, we always leave the ship and do stuff ashore, with or without the paid excursions. But "at sea," if it's a few days or more, things can get boring. I'd get up at 4:30 or 5:00 AM, go to the upper deck, set up and operate, and be all done and back in the cabin to wake up the XYL at 7:00.

And it was fun.

2. N0TZU

N0TZU Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I wonder if the cruise operators might be concerned about security issues - such as someone onboard communicating with terrorists or pirates to facilitate or publicize an attack.

3. W6OGC

W6OGC Ham Member QRZ Page

I guess that is not too far beyond far fetched, but I would think it has more to do with inconvenience and liability to other passengers, tripping over wires, getting zapped, setting off pacemakers, messing with shipboard nav, shorting out the generators leaving the ship dark, cold, the swimming pool unheated and ice makers impotent.

And, God forbid, if anything serious happened at sea, all the PR folks back at HQ need is some PITA eyewitness on the radio ruining a good story.

None of these are likely, some are probably impossible to happen, but they don't know that. Ignorance, fear and insurance coverage are powerful motivators.

WU8Y and N0TZU like this.
  4. KD5AUU

KD5AUU Ham Member QRZ Page

I listened to y'all a lot and made contact several times on 3 of different bands. My friend Charlie Ellisor NA5SA was in your group and I did get a chance to talk to him once - Great Marine Mobile Expedition.

5. KP4SX

KP4SX XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Resurrecting a dead thread...last night I heard K8NY/MM operating from the Harmony of the Seas, a Royal Caribbean boat. He was off the coast of Hispanola and had a great signal here on 40 CW.

6. K6CPO

K6CPO Ham Member QRZ Page

Mostly, I take just an HT and use it to listen the the Marine VHF channels. I listen to Channel 16 at home and it can be very entertaining at times. Boat owners can be pretty stupid.

I wouldn't work HF from the cruise ship as some have done. Just too much hassle.

7. K1FBI

K1FBI Ham Member QRZ Page

Let's not try asking for forgiveness in North Korea. Unlike the United States, being someone who does things illegally does not get you welfare and a free education in other Countries.

K3XR likes this.
  8. KC0BBT

KC0BBT Ham Member QRZ Page

Their house, their rules.

9. W9AMM

W9AMM Moderator Volunteer Moderator QRZ Page

KP4SX likes this.
  10. KP4SX

KP4SX XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Worth printing out in case you have to teach some minion his job.
    Ham Radios/Amateur Radio Equipment: Permitted to be used on board.

W9AMM likes this.