ad: Bamatech-1

Carnival Cruise Lines does not allow amateur radios

Discussion in 'On the Road' started by KZ4V, Jan 30, 2017.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: l-assoc
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
ad: Subscribe
ad: L-MFJ
  1. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I see the conflict.

I've brought ham gear (nothing huge) aboard two Carnival ships, most recently the Elation, and nobody stopped me but I tried to find the Captain to ask, once aboard. If he said "No," I'd have just stored the stuff.

But I found him (!) and introduced myself as a ham. So was he! He introduced himself with an Italian callsign which I did not record, but it was I2 or I4 something, and he said he does operate when he's "home," which was only about six or eight weeks a year. He was certainly familiar with amateur radio and said, "No problems, keep all wires out of the way of anyone and make sure no one complains!" and that was about it.

I operated only from the upper (sports) deck, which is up high and although surrounded by plexiglass windows, still windy up there as the panels have lots of openings and they're only several feet tall above the rail. And I operated only very early AM, usually from before sunrise to maybe 30-60 mins after sunrise. Almost nobody up there at those hours. Used my little Ten Tec SCOUT 555 (50W PEP rig on HF) at the time, with a 14AH gel-cel for power, all wires away from where anyone would walk, and a clamp-on loaded HF whip. Running about 10W TX power, it worked well and of course very low noise levels other than slight atmospheric static. Fun! But after that, time to wake up the XYL, shower, and head for breakfast, then excursions or other activities.

Nobody complained, probably nobody even noticed. I caught the Captain at dinner the third night and thanked him.

2. KG5SFT

KG5SFT Ham Member QRZ Page

That sucks. I bet you would have had some fun.

3. KB7QPS

KB7QPS Ham Member QRZ Page

I'm not following why someone would pay a lot of money to go on a cruise and then spend much time doing amateur radio while on the cruise. It doesn't seem like a good use of time to me.

Maritime mobile amateur radio isn't that much different than fixed location radio, I would think?

4. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Actually, it's real different when you have an antenna up 100'+ above the "ground" surrounded by saltwater in all directions for many miles.

I found time to operate usually 5-7 AM when the XYL or family were all sleeping but I was up and rather than just walk the decks, fill in that time with some operating. Mostly CW with headphones on, so the operation made no "noise" anyone else could hear.

KA2CZU likes this.
  5. N1KWW

N1KWW XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Easier to refuse something one does not understand.