ad: Schulman-1

Carnival Cruise Lines does not allow amateur radios

Discussion in 'On the Road' started by KZ4V, Jan 30, 2017.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: l-assoc
ad: Subscribe
ad: L-MFJ
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-2
  1. KB2FCV

KB2FCV Ham Member QRZ Page

It's their boat, their rules. In general they choose to be safe and keep it prohibited to "keep everyone safe". Besides.. aside from the novelty of transmitting aboard a ship.. for me the radios can stay home and I'll enjoy the vacation.

2. N5PZJ

N5PZJ Subscriber QRZ Page

On Carnival Dream right now, no problems, guest services had a ball!! The Captain said fire up the radio! Worked 2 meters this AM with a duct into S Texas. 40 meter QSO with a pal, then off to breakfast!

Martin
    HP0/N5PZJ/mm

W5PFG, AG5DB, US7IGN and 1 other person like this.
  3. N5PZJ

N5PZJ Subscriber QRZ Page

Also as ZF2PZ, worked a lot of hams on the Caymans, made a few Eyeball QSOs and done some real sight seeing! Back home now I am just plain N5PZJ, Martin.

W5PFG and KP4SX like this.
  4. 2E1GZZ

2E1GZZ Ham Member QRZ Page

** Maritime Mobile with UK 2E Intermediate Licence:
    IRN International Radio Network - worked 'Maritime Mobile' in June 2018. Have been on a number of cruise ships, mostly with RCCL. Having a UK Intermediate Licence cannot work outside of UK, but even with a full licence the majority of cruise ships won't allow RF. Wanted to do a spot of radio this time. Echolink doesn't doesn't want to work, most probably because Echolink requires certain 'UDP ports' to be open which the ships internet won't allow.
    -
    Come in...'IRN'...International Radio Network. Downloaded, set up on laptop, (or could have used smartphone) in our 'stateroom' (the cruise ship word for cabin). The ships 24/7 Internet speed for passengers hover around 3.5mb to 4mb download and just under 1mb up, somewhat slow. Ship company advertises their internet as 'the fastest at sea'. What's slow like! Musn't complain though, least we have connection albiet with occasional dropouts. All works fine and had first QSO on 05 June 18.
    Question that could be asked is it legal? Yes, absolutely because no RF, all done by VOIP, like other VOIP on the net ie Skype. But IRN operates within all the Licence requirements so with my 2E licence I'm 'Maritime Mobile!'. Thank you IRN.
    see me on QRZ at 2E1GZZ

M6IGJ likes this.
  5. KA2CZU

KA2CZU XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Well I accidentally left my TH-D72a in my backpack here on an NCL cruise. Just discovered it this morning. However, I left it on my backpack without an antenna it is somewhat useless. Nevertheless, guess with all my other stuff they didnt care about it when the bag was scanned.

6. KU1V

KU1V XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Going back a few years I witnessed a ham radio group operating on board a Carnival cruise ship, which seemed to have been booked with Carnival with this purpose in mind. Looked like every one in the group was having a fun time.

Apparently if you make a proper request from Carnival, and follow the rules, you will have no problems operating at sea.
    Mike KU1V

W5PFG likes this.
  7. AD5HR

AD5HR Ham Member QRZ Page

I don't know if they have changed the rules, but I have a QSL card to
    prove they did in 2014.
    Talked to W6AIY/VP9/MM as a relay station on the Pacific maritime mobile service net,
    and got the card a few weeks later.
    Jon

8. N1UJD

N1UJD Ham Member QRZ Page

9. KW4GT

KW4GT Ham Member QRZ Page

In the first part of that document it lists ham radios as being prohibited, then in the second part it says they're permitted to be used. If anyone is serious about attempting to take radio gear aboard they need to get that clarified by Carnival well beforehand (and understand that the final authority is the Captain of the ship).

In any case I just got back from my second cruise and I'll say that I was perfectly able to survive without playing radio for a few days, there's just so much to do on the ship as well as at the ports.

10. KB2FCV

KB2FCV Ham Member QRZ Page

10 or 11 years ago.. the last time I was at Hamvention I recall a Collins collector group advertising a cruise on one of the larger cruise lines... I think they were going to have a station available?