ad: IACantenna-1

Carnival Cruise Lines does not allow amateur radios

Discussion in 'On the Road' started by K4YCX, Jan 30, 2017.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
  1. K4YCX

K4YCX Ham Member QRZ Page

I recently sent in a request to operate QRP from my balcony on a Carnival cruise from Charleston, SC to the Bahamas and was informed that amateur radio operations were prohibited. This seems to have been a recent change as I had heard that folks were being approved just a couple years ago. Ah well, I will have to find some other way to play with the the new KX2!

Tim K4YCX

K2HAT likes this.
  2. AA7QQ

AA7QQ Ham Member QRZ Page

Check with Royal Carribean. I do subcontract work for them & always bring radios. I have even had crew help with the antennas. Never did ask permission, though.

Ed

3. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Why even ask? The KX2 is so small nobody would ever know you used it, especially if you have an seaside cabin with balcony and used an antenna nobody would notice.

I've operated bigger setups from that on Carnival. First time was on the maiden voyage of the Elation, and I didn't have a balcony: Took my Ten Tec SCOUT (50W rig) with multiband HF whip, clamps, a 14AH gel cell pack, paddle key, and associated cables up to the highest ("sports") deck on the ship before daybreak each day to operate with a 360 degree clear view -- better than from anyone's balcony and did that every day for several days. Lots of contacts.

I looked for the Captain for a whole day before I finally found him (identified only by his uniform) and asked him if it would be a problem. He reminded me that nothing can stand in the way of other passengers, no cables could be anywhere they could be tripped over, and to use headphones (which was a must anyway, since it's so freakin' windy up there you'd never hear anything without headphones). He seemed to know quite a lot about radios, so we discussed ham radio a bit and he introduced himself as I2 something or other (don't remember the callsign), he was licensed in Italy and had a home station.:)

I did finally ask if this was "against regulations," and he said "Yes, it is, but you have my permission and the worst that could happen is someone takes your gear away and locks it up for the rest of the voyage, then you'll get it back when we dock" (or words to that effect), assuring me they wouldn't steal it or anything.

Never had any problems.

If I'd had an outside private deck I never would have asked anybody anything.:p

KG5EXW likes this.
  4. N8HM

N8HM Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

KG5EXW likes this.
  5. WA6MHZ

WA6MHZ Subscriber QRZ Page

IT's easier to beg for forgiveness than ask for permisssion. WHAT are they going to do if they catch U? Throw U overboard???

K9ASE likes this.
  6. KB4QAA

KB4QAA XML Subscriber QRZ Page

What a concept. In other words, "Ignore FCC Part 97, or any other countries' rules if you feel like it".

Huh? Where are you guys coming from? This IS NOT the amateur way. If so, then to hell with licenses, callsigns, etc. Let's play CB. Harumph.

NC5EE, WA7PRC, K1FBI and 4 others like this.
  7. KV5Q

KV5Q Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

I had booked a cruise last year on a Royal Caribbean ship out of Ft Lauderdale for this month & then I noticed the T&C's in the documentation they emailed said no amateur radios permitted on the ship. This was news to me as I had never seen anything from RC on this - I wound up cancelling for other reasons, but I am going to check this out a little closer before I rebook.
    Kirk
    KV5Q

8. W6OGC

W6OGC Ham Member QRZ Page

I don't cruise any longer, but when I did, the ships were very careful about what you brought onboard. Almost airline like x-ray. I believe Norweigan prohibited bringing radios, and pretty sure Princess did as well.

N2EY likes this.
  9. AD5KO

AD5KO Ham Member QRZ Page

Throw a wire dipole down your pant legs and operate QRPP. :D

K5ITM, KM4DJO, KG5EXW and 1 other person like this.
  10. W7UUU

W7UUU QRZ Lifetime Member #133 Life Member Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

The only thing Cruise lines HATE for you to pack is....

.... BOOZE.

I'm pretty sure you could get radios, animals, bombs, refugees, cannabis, alchemy labs, plutonium, etc. etc. etc......

But pack a magnum of good BRANDY in your suitcase? Hahahahahaha!

Ask me how I know :rolleyes:

[And I was an "owner's suite" or "grand suite" patron, no less....]

Dave
    W7UUU

KN4EQG, N2SUB, WA7PRC and 4 others like this.