Captured This Last Night on 630 Meters..................

Discussion in 'The Low Bands - 630/2200 Meters - VLF' started by K2WH, Feb 22, 2020.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
ad: Subscribe
ad: L-MFJ
ad: abrind-2
  1. K2WH

K2WH Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

A triple image of a single signal.

Same UTC time but different frequencies.

Notice they are 60 hz from each other.

474 kilohertz 02-21-2020 at 0140.jpg

Attached Files:

2. ND6M

ND6M Ham Member QRZ Page

Grand cherokee owners manual?

N1VAU and NY4Q like this.
  3. K6CLS

K6CLS Ham Member QRZ Page

turn down the RF gain

W0BTU and KP4SX like this.
  4. K2WH

I have no idea how that got there but, I did just get the Grand Cherokee.

5. K2WH

You might be right but it doesn't or didn't happen on other signals.

6. WQ2H

WQ2H QRZ Lifetime Member #214 Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

Bill - Just curious, what are you using for an antenna and do you have any pre-amps enabled?

This does happen with strong signals on 630/2200 - occasionally when the prop is just right I'll get a double or two.

You however clearly win the quadfecta. (couldn't help myself - grew up in Saratoga Springs NY.......)

N1VAU and W0BTU like this.
  7. K2WH

I am using a Yaesu FTdx3000, tuner in bypass and an 80 meter dipole and I had (1) preamp activated.

It is the first time I have seen this on 630 meters and I have decoded dual signals on 160 meters and surprisingly it happens very frequently on 6 meters where multi-path reflections happen often.

However, the primary signal on this capture was very weak, not strong where multiple signals might appear and to get (3) individual decodes, is very new.

W0BTU likes this.
  8. WQ2H

WQ2H QRZ Lifetime Member #214 Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

My guess is that the decoder was flooded and assigned the incorrect magnitude to time stamp. It happens. The Rx at 1547 clearly has the highest magnitude.

Strange because 37dBm @ 177 miles is not unreasonable. I Tx mostly 0.5W (calculated TOP) on 630 and get anywhere from +3 to +5 from the same distance with similar Rx antennas.

I know on the 991 the IPO is always on below 1.7 mHz, so I've actually found that having both pre-amps on with a low dgain yields the best Rx. Seems counter intuitive, but I think the digital decoders work infinitely better then human ears - so "noise" isn't the issue as much as gross unprocessed signal level.

I operate the 991 split for 630, Rx on 474.2 and Tx on 3.6742 into the W5DFN transverter / K5DNL amp.

NL7W likes this.