ad: w5yi

caps in anchors sb 110

Discussion in '"Boat Anchor" & Classic Equipment' started by KB2WVO, Jun 11, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: l-assoc
ad: l-BCInc
ad: Subscribe
ad: L-MFJ
  1. KB2WVO

KB2WVO Ham Member QRZ Page

ok iam goin to be ordering from somewhere on line.. local parts store closed up this past week.. was last old school supply in my area.. grrrrrr sad when u go there and on door says closed till fether notice.. i had a tear in my eye... this guy had stuff from 1950s grrrrr

the ? is ...
    heathkit part numbers iam sure arint used by noone but them.. and if a cap is say 20uf.. but no voltage...
    would you go highest voltage like 150v. or what ..
    nothing on caps them selfs that i can see as of yet.. not out of radio..

or is there a basic voltage if nothing in the maunal when it just shows the uFs but no voltage..

some show 500v some show 1.4k and some nothing but uF ..

thank you for any help on this..

2. K9STH

K9STH Ham Member Volunteer Moderator QRZ Page

In every piece of Heath equipment that I have seen (and there have been a lot units), the working voltage is on the component. However, tell me what capacitors are involved and I can tell you the safe working voltage for that capacitor.

Glen, K9STH

3. KB2WVO

20Uf on the audio amp board i think it is.. far back middle .. tall cardboard case. looks like a old coin wraper.
    in the manual it has 2 part numbers for 20uF.. so wasnt sure why or what.. as i dont have a clue on all that yet..

i guess the caps in the image below ..
    100 uf's

i cant aford to pay buck and half for a cap that isnt rite... so i have to be rite the 1st time .

Attached Files:

4. K9STH

The first 10 mfd, C-210, on the i.f. circuit board needs to be probably 100 volts, C-102 off Pin-7 of V-10 can be like 25 volts, C-67 off Pin-6 of V-6 can be like 25 volts, C-63 off of Pin-1 of V-6 again like 25 volts, and C-68 off of Pin-8 of V-6 replace with 22 mfd (modern equivalent of 20 mfd) at 250 volts.

You can go higher in voltage but I do not suggest going any lower.

Glen, K9STH

5. KB2WVO

22 replacement for the 20 ??
    https://www.westfloridacomponents.c...tor+United+Chemi+Con+KMG350VB22RM12X20LL.html

10 replacement ?
    https://www.westfloridacomponents.com/RE1050A/10uF+16V+Radial+Electrolytic+Capacitor+Taicon.html

100s replacement ?
    https://www.westfloridacomponents.c...ctrolytic+Capacitor+Panasonic+EEUFC1H101.html

hate to ask. but i like to be sure i going after right ones here..

what say you on the disc caps.. .005 and .01s
    west flordia i think has them.. there the only place i found so far. low price and in stock. mouser doesnt have the 5000pf or is it .005uf.. back ordered

sorry to be a bother.. but i dont want to mess this radio up .. and iam waitin till i have all parts to replace them. so it doesnt sit on bench in a pile of junk ..
    i thank you and all for there time ..

6. K9STH

50 volt and 16 volt capacitors are NOT 100 volt and 25 volt capacitors! No where near what the voltage can be, as the unit warms up, and could possibly explode!

Glen, K9STH

7. KB2WVO

ok ill have to figure it out..
    i took a mag glass.. the 10ufs say 16v. so was goin with that for 50v.

ok back to the drawing board..

ty for helpping me ..

iam sure you know what your seein below.. i think this is rite now ?

.005uF 1000V Ceramic Disc Capacitor Centralab 2DDH63L502KAF

0.005uF 5000pF 3000V Ceramic Disc Capacitor SPK SPKC05

0.02uF .02uF 1000V 1KV Ceramic Disc Capacitor

22uF 350V Radial Electrolytic Capacitor United Chemi Con KMG350VB22RM12X20LL

10uF 160V Radial Electrolytic Capacitor SU Series

100uF 100V Radial Aluminum Electrolytic Capacitor Panasonic ECA2AM101B

Last edited: Jun 11, 2018
  8. K9STH

Unless you are replacing a disc ceramic in the plate circuit, including anywhere there is the 750 volts to 800 volts around, of the final amplifier tubes, you don't need 3000 volt capacitors. The 1000 V disc ceramics are fine.

You don't need 100 volt capacitors to replace the 16 volt capacitors, but they will work fine. With the higher line voltages today, the 16 volt capacitors should be replaced with at least 25 volt capacitors.

Glen, K9STH

KB2WVO likes this.
  9. KB2WVO

1W 10 Ohm 5% Carbon Film

for the bias on the 6146s

10. KB2WVO

ok so i understand rite... more or less. if the 1.4k cap went south.. it would probley smoke something and or not work at all in that stage. if so.. nothing is blown or smoked that i can see.. then ill leave the caps alone for now.. ill grab the 0.005 1k for the 500v caps.. so when i do get ready to do them. i have them.. as i think there for filtering ?