ad: vanity

Can't we just have a simple logbook that "ALLOWS" me to confirm contact requests without the hassle?

Discussion in 'Suggestions and New Feature Requests' started by F5VHZ, Oct 20, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
  1. AI2SS

AI2SS Ham Member QRZ Page

I just logged on my LoTW account and got new confirmation from a QSO back in 1994. So more people are adding their logs all the time. For some reason, I was pretty surprised. Cool though!

Last edited: Dec 4, 2015
  2. K3RW

K3RW Ham Member QRZ Page

Thanks--good info.

But it will only show that a log was loaded, and we don't know if we were in that log or not or if that was QSOs from a year ago, a week ago, etc.

Just wish we could have a mostly-blind sneak peak, like "Callsign/month" and that's it. Any problems from there could easily be resolved by an email.

I too have been guilty of the UTC screwuip. I blame daylight savings time for that one.

I see why some want a totally legitimate log, totally blind, but one could still circumvent the process if they were so inclined. And even with eQSL's method--you're only cheating yourself if you start collecting bogus awards.

3. AI2SS

AI2SS Ham Member QRZ Page

I've had cards come back in the past with a note that the QSO time was off. Thank goodness some people took the time to look closer. I can imagine I have a lot of contacts that will never be linked using LoTW for that reason. Even today all the clocks in the house are a little different. It should be easy, right? o_O

K3RW likes this.
  4. F5VHZ

F5VHZ Ham Member QRZ Page

So are you saying that if i join this LOTW thingy than all my qso's will be confirmed regardless of what time zone i recorded them in ???? surely this is what im asking QRZ to allow me to do....just confirm the ********contact !!! but without having to down load a bible and read for weeks and then wait months for the data to get crunched...

I have only ever received about three or four false claims in over 40 years and a few million contacts...so where is the problem...

I would upload an example but qrz only accepts a URL (A URL (Uniform Resource Locator, previously Universal Resource Locator))..for those that are easily confused like me... so I can't unless I file an example somewhere, then anyone could get a copy and print their own confirmation of a qsl from me...there is no answer is there....
    apart from stating on my page how to contact me directly and give me their recorded time...

5. N2EY

N2EY Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Sorry, but it does.

The rules say that for an entry to be a confirmation, certain data must be included, and the data must ALL be correct. No exceptions - if any of the required things are not included or is not correct, it's not a valid confirmation.

The required items are:

Call sign of the station worked.
    Date
    Time (within 30 minutes)
    Band
    Mode
    Location (country/state/DXCC entity)

(there may be other, special requirements for satellite QSOs)

That's not much, but it's ALL got to be there, and be right. Otherwise it's not a valid confirmation.

Them's the rules. I didn't make 'em, but at least I know 'em.

KJ3N likes this.
  6. KJ3N

KJ3N Ham Member QRZ Page

Careful, you're being argumentative.... :rolleyes:

7. K5GHS

K5GHS Ham Member QRZ Page

What is even scarier is the fact that most major operating systems allow, with a few clicks, usually on the clock on the screen, for you to add a second timezone. Then all you have to do is mouse over the clock and the conversion is there, automatically. Even if you're paper logging, doesn't take long. Course, most "modern" logs convert to UTC automagically, but I digress. I've never had an issue with it, but I do admit I'm younger. My Dad still doesn't touch computers much, but he has started to use a tablet a lot more lately which I was kind of surprised to see the last time he visited.

Everyone posting to QRZ probably has this capability since they are obviously on a computer though. :) No matter the logging method. Its usually one of the first things I do when I get a new computer in case I have a need for it. Sure, as a ham I should be able to instantly compute UTC..but if I wanted to compute things on my own, I wouldn't have a computer, right? :)

8. KA2CZU

KA2CZU XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Stupid question: I have a bunch of QSL cards from the early 90s. Is it worthwhile entering those QSOs into either QRZ and/or LOTW?

9. KJ3N

KJ3N Ham Member QRZ Page

The short answer: Yes.

VK6APZ and KA2CZU like this.
  10. K3RW

K3RW Ham Member QRZ Page

Yep--you'd be surprised too. My dad setup a eQSL account a couple months ago, and he's been on the air 50+ years. Soon as he logged in, he had 200+ QSL requests waiting. No joke, his inbox had QSOs from all over, and as far back as 1993!

Of course he needs to add his own collection and log, which could take a year by itself, if he wants more. He's been adding the more unusual ones and occasionally, they do match up or the operator who is on eQSL now will see the incoming request and confirm a QSO even from 20 years ago--just wouldn't work for the SKs.

An ADIF program that 'talks' to both eQSL and LoTW would make it easier to do both at the same time, but I'm not sure what that would be.

VK6APZ and KA2CZU like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.