Can't we just have a simple logbook that "ALLOWS" me to confirm contact requests without the hassle?

Discussion in 'Suggestions and New Feature Requests' started by F5VHZ, Oct 20, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: L-MFJ
  1. W1REN

W1REN Ham Member QRZ Page

Of all the replies in this thread, Shirley's (AA7EJ) is the one that I relate to most. Although, I very much respect Stef's ((AI2SS) open minded approach to Ham radio as well. Basically, it's different strokes...
    I am not a contester (a look-see at my QRZ bio will re-enforce that statement) but no issue with those that are. I openly admit that although I've been a licensed Ham since 1992 I have yet to be bitten by the CW bug (Though my best Ham bud - an old Coastie CW master - continually offers to coach me. I'll give in eventually.). I utilize SSB phone on HF almost exclusively, seldom call CQ, and utilize only FM on VHF/UHF. My "antenna array" consist of one 6 through 80 meter OCF dipole, and two VHF/UHF verticals. I spend the bulk of my time in the shack "listening". The same could be said while I'm mobile. This pretty much sums up my interest boundaries within the hobby to date, which truthfully have changed very little over the years. I utilize it to keep in touch with other Ham friends and acquaintances that the hobby has introduced me to, occasionally to have a QSO with a "new" friend in a far away place, and to pass the time when I want to relax. Thus, one could see that I have very little use for automated logs. I just don't make that many "contacts" - by choice. Yet, I do indeed keep an old fashioned pen (sometimes pencil - when I misplace my favorite pen) and paper log in a regular ARRL logbook.
    Even with what few entries I make in my log, there are times that I wish that I had a method to simply and accurately log contacts in such a way so as to know immediately if I had made a previous HF contact with a fellow Ham. Typically, unless I remember a particular contact, it's the other Ham who tells me this (because they utilize a whiz-bang eHam, LOTW, QRZ, ABC, XYZ, automated logging system).
    I've asked this question from folks in my Ham circle before, but the answer always seems to point back to one of "those", because that is what they and everyone else uses. I don't want to use one of those. With my limited needs I've no use for them. Just a simple tracking program, not connected to "those" in any way, is all I require for my own, humble, personal needs. Something that is downloadable as a stand alone log program for my own personal use that is "smart" enough to track previous contacts for me, and alert me to them when I do enter a new contact in the log.
    I'm sure there must be such a product. If only some understanding Ham brother or sister could point me to it, I would be infinitely grateful...! :>)

2. KC9UDX

KC9UDX Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

If I understand you right, I have somewhere at least a dozen such programs on floppy disk.

3. KC9VFO

KC9VFO Ham Member QRZ Page

I log the contacts during the QSO and the UTC time is automatic, I make sure the mode etc is correct and I hit 'save'. At the end of the day/week I upload them to LOTW and vice versa. Works well.- Now if the operator on the other end doesn't have their info correct, not much I can do about that. I am not emailing etc anyone. Get what you get.

4. W1DQ

W1DQ Logbook Administrator Volunteer Moderator Volunteer DX Helper Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

You may be frustrated by logbook programs that facilitate more complex logging operations but you need not utilize these additional features. QRZ can accommodate your basic logging wishes as follows:

1. Open your logbook
    2. Enter the worked party's callsign in the ADD QSO box, click it, and a listing of previous QSOs is immediately displayed.
    Should you wish to continue, you may enter a new record by selecting the date/time, band, mode, and hitting Save; if not, simply back out at that point - new QSO records can be added any time later.

Last edited: Nov 5, 2015
  5. W1REN

W1REN Ham Member QRZ Page

I realize that John, and I appreciate that you are trying to help me. As a QRZ logbook administrator I would expect that you would want point me back to that logbook. However, as you quoted me,

I really meant what I said by "not connected to those in any way" and "a stand alone program". I prefer that the only entity capable of managing or even viewing my personal logbook be... me. Kind of just like the old fashioned paper type. (and you can go in and view my logbook, now can't you John. Heck, I'm betting that you could do more than just view it). I don't want to be concerned when (not if) someone else's technology prevents me from accessing my log, or inadvertently "loses" data I have entered into it. Not that such would ever happen to a QRZ managed log.
    No, I'm not paranoid, nor am I some sort of conspiracy theorist. And I may sound a little gruff, but I really do appreciate what you do John, and believe that you are quite likely extraordinarily qualified to serve in that capacity for QRZ.
    Just want my own little log program, just for me, like it used to be for everyone, that's all. :>)

Ren
    (W1REN)

6. KP4SX

KP4SX Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

REN, I use Logger32 and it seems to do everything you ask for. Sure, it does a whole lot more as well and sure, there's some setup and learning curve involved. I imagine any of the standalone logging systems would meet your needs. Many are free, some are not so free.

7. K3RW

K3RW Ham Member QRZ Page

Nothing irks me more than setting up half a dozen different logbook programs and if I'm lucky getting around 45% confirmed. And eQSL won't take LoTW, and QRZ won't take HRD or eQSLs. So in part I blame too much technology that is supposed to make things easier, but in some ways makes it harder.

If you don't have/use a computer (then you aren't reading any of this) then no doubt cost is a huge issue, and a lot people don't send cards back. But if you do, then take the 10 seconds to log it/use an autologger/etc. Otherwise to me it looks like 'I got mine' and that's it. I look at what I've worked vs what's confirmed, and I'm really annoyed. Maybe I too want to be a paperchaser and there's nothing wrong with that, but with cost out of the equation, I think the conflicting technology and attitude is the real problem here.

And, I realized if I was a ham in ND or RI I'd get QSLs all day.

8. K3RW

K3RW Ham Member QRZ Page

I had the same problem in the beginning--heck, even now, but I realize now that 1) not everyone (esp DXers) uses LoTW, 2) not everyone uploads it right away, and 3) if either side has it any of it wrong--neither will ever know what they problem was because they can't view the other entry.

But LoTW wants it totally blind, so here's what happens:

I just worked ND--and it was one of the last for my WAS. The station says it uploads 100% to LoTW. Its been 3 days. Have they loaded it yet? Did I make a mistake? Did they? Was I not in their log?

Until then, I'll be looking for ND :mad: The same station does not eQSL. I'll send them a card and hopefully get one back, hopefully.

9. AI2SS

AI2SS Ham Member QRZ Page

I upload everything to LoTW but not always right away. So hopefully that's all that's going on there. I understand how you feel with ND being the last one you need. Every day must feel like an eternity waiting for the confirmation to come through. Maybe try sending the op an email and ask what's up?

VK6APZ and K3RW like this.
  10. W1DQ

W1DQ Logbook Administrator Volunteer Moderator Volunteer DX Helper Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

To determine the date of a LoTW user's last upload to LoTW:
    Sign in to your ARRL LoTW account, then select Find Call and enter the callsign you wish to check on.

AI2SS likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.