Can't we just have a simple logbook that "ALLOWS" me to confirm contact requests without the hassle?

Discussion in 'Suggestions and New Feature Requests' started by F5VHZ, Oct 20, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
ad: L-MFJ
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
  1. W1DQ

W1DQ Logbook Administrator Volunteer Moderator Volunteer DX Helper Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Confirmation requirements can vary. A state of confirmation is generally as defined by the entity requiring it.

In the case of QRZ, a confirmation requires that both parties have a record of the QSO in their respective logbooks that each match with respect to callsigns, band, mode, and date/time within a 30-minute window. You are entitled to disagree, nonetheless this is the standard set to achieve a QRZ confirmation.

If a confirmation based on an erroneous claim is attempted, it would require both parties to so participate - a less likely occurrence.

Last edited: Oct 22, 2015
    KC9VFO likes this.
  2. AI2SS

AI2SS Ham Member QRZ Page

I'm still waiting on the postcard for LoTW. When I input the first information (address) it told me that it didn't match the record on file with the FCC. I copied the info from my ULS! I haven't received an email saying there was a problem so I'm expecting the postcard to come, eventually. I hope the rest of the procedure works better than the first part!

3. KC9UDX

KC9UDX Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

How long have you been waiting?

4. AI2SS

Hmm about a week, but it came in the mail today!

KC9UDX likes this.
  5. AI2SS

I guess it's going to be time to make the "what's wrong with my LoTW" over in another forum. LOL! At least I got an adif uploaded. Now to figure the rest of this out. And I have to say that it does work pretty well. I wound up with 3 qsls out of the twenty one QSOs I uploaded.

KC9UDX likes this.
  6. AI2SS

I have to say that I think LoTW is pretty awesome! Now that it's all sorted out, my old callsign is linked, and all my old logs are uploaded. I found QSLs on contacts I made back into the early 80s. I was really surprised! Everything is linked to my DCC account, too. Picked up 18 QSLs to add to DXCC that I was waiting for, wow! Pretty nifty! Thanks for posting about it or I probably wouldn't have tried it :D

7. W1DQ

W1DQ Logbook Administrator Volunteer Moderator Volunteer DX Helper Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Now that you have your LoTW Certificate and all is well there, why not enable the QRZ Logbook Download from LoTW feature. QRZ gives credit for LoTW confirmations toward the various QRZ awards. While direct uploads from QRZ to LoTW are only available to XML or higher subscribers, downloads from LoTW to QRZ (and awards) are available to all members at no charge.

Open your logbook, click on SETTINGS, find LoTW Access, click on SET UP, then click on HELP. Follow instructions.

8. AI2SS

I was going to do that, but then thought twice about it. I wondered if I didn't add a password to the certificate I was saving, would it be considered a shared computer and allow access to my LoTW account. And I'd have to save certificates for both AI2SS and KA2HQR so it seemed like a lot of bother or worry just to have a DX award sticker here. o_O I never e-logged my paper logs for WAS as I never planned to apply for that award. And if I did, I'd just have the cards checked. Sorry for rambling :confused:

9. AA7EJ

AA7EJ Ham Member QRZ Page

I have vowed not to participate in SOME public forum discussions, got better things to do with my time.
    I also subscribe to notion that rules exists, even personal, so they can be broken.

Here is my , somewhat OT ,take on all this. Sorry.
    In US , the federalis removed the "rule" of keeping a station log long time ago.
    So it is puzzling me why US hams go overboard with all these electronic logs.
    I call is "misuse of technology ".

It seems that especially the paper DX chasers, so fond of their DX certificate on the shack wall, are frustrated with the issue of "confirmed" contacts , and it dos not matter if it is paper QSL card or eQSL whatever.
    Chasing DX (on the air) using operating skills is being replaced with spending time ( and their money, thank goodness) on that illusive confirmation.
    Why?

( Once I listened to station from Laos to state " I don't QSL, it robs me of time I can spent talking to friends... on the air ...which I enjoy ").

Back to OT. Sort off.
    What was once a real issue, for me, were the folks who AUTOMATICALY did eQSL and I had no idea I have oodles of eQSL waiting to be confirmed!

I have no quarrels exchanging paper QSL cards, ( got few to write soon) but the folks who insist on confirmation to bestow a personal bragging rights on YOUR achievement are just living in past and creating work for themselves, even if only voluntary work. ( What happened to honor system?)

Who else cares, except you, about your personal achievement of 450 DX countries confirmed on 10 bands ?

And for you English "grammar police" - "you " met as in general, nobody specific.

Yours
    Shirley ...-.- ..

10. AI2SS

I certainly understand where you're coming from, Shirley. Ham radio is big enough to hold things that interest all of us though (hopefully.) I find all that paperwork interesting and the electronic logging is part of the new tech I enjoy using. It IS nicer to have paper QSLs to look at, that's for sure. But it's not practical in a lot of cases. Mail gets stolen, etc. Of course, all we can do is try, and hope that envelope arrives in the mail eventually. LoTW is a pretty cool backup for confirmation when snail mail fails.

That leads to the second point. In my case, I do it for bragging rights to myself. My little station can't hold a candle to these guys with big towers and beams. But, still I find it challenging and enjoyable to try, and exciting when I do get through. I went on the honor system for a long time. When I got back on the air, I thought if I was ever going to apply (pay, as many have said) for a certificate the time was now. but... over time some cards have been lost and others rejected by the system for no paperwork. So yes the honor system still works to a degree. I know I worked those stations. For the certificate? another QSO will come along. *shrug*

Anyway, I guess the tl;dr is: We all find different things to like in this hobby. That's one of the great things about it.

Thanks for the great discourse.
    Sincerely,
    Stefanie

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.