Can't switch monitors

Discussion in 'Computers, Hardware, and Operating Systems' started by W0UZR, Apr 26, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
  1. W0UZR

W0UZR Ham Member QRZ Page

I'll run what you said by someone that knows something about computers. I'm completely lost. You may as well be talking in German to me. Well, I may have some Idea what you are saying, but I'm not experienced with computers yet.

A friend of mine has a nephew that's good enough to run his own computer repair shop, so I'll tell him what you said then he might be able to tell me what you said and walk me through it.

As far as I know, there are all kinds of drivers for video in this computer and the new one. Well, I'll call my friends nephew this evening and read what you said to him and he should tell me what I have to do.

Thank you for the help!!

2. K3WRV

K3WRV Guest

No real expertise here but...

Plugging and unplugging monitors can be hard on the pins on the DB15 plug and the video card socket. Seen that happen a boodle of times hr in the shack. Do you get a "No Signal" message on the monitor?

If you've got a spare, working monitor, try that one and see if it helps. Even if you've got the resolution set wrong, you ought to see *something* (even if only squiggly lines)

3. n1ydx

n1ydx Ham Member QRZ Page

Maybe late but maybe help.

1. Load the drivers for both monitors on your computer.

2. Never switch monitor cables in/out of your machine with the power on. Turn off the computer to change monitors. Some monitors will blow up, damage themselves if you pull the cable while powered up.

3. Do a SHUT DOWN - Change MONITOR cables - RESTART.

4. Always remember where you load your MONITOR drivers. If I use my Samsung I have them in C:\Monitors\SAMSUNG and when I use the Viewsonic I have them in C:\Monitors\Viewsonic ( you can choose where they are loaded ). So when you boot and it needs the drivers, you know exactly where they are.

N1YDX - Lee

4. AB8RU

AB8RU Ham Member QRZ Page

to put it this way.

Monitor and drivers for monitor must be installed Read the Docs if any.

Video Card , read docs again make sure you have enough memory on the card to support the monitor.

is the card loose ? pull out and reseat sometimes vibration will lossen a card.

Bad card connector , like changing lanes on a highway find another same card slot and install there.

WARNING !! rebooting computer may muck up the MBR  ( Master Boot Record ) even corrupt it .  may need to go to GO BACK to last spot however the Last Go Back may be corrupted too!

Last Resort Reinstall Operating System, windows does have a forgiving attitude and XP will allow for Auto Updates as long as its turned on.

BUT FIRST Do a Virus Scan, reinstall and reinstall Video & Monitor drivers.

5. VE9LBN

VE9LBN Ham Member QRZ Page

I have a KVM switches on my computers one mouse, one keyboard, one monitor and they work fine. Nexxtech.
    Not sure this will help you.
    I run 4 computer and have two monitors.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.