Can't switch monitors

Discussion in 'Computers, Hardware, and Operating Systems' started by W0UZR, Apr 26, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-3
  1. W0UZR

W0UZR Ham Member QRZ Page

I have one monitor that is 17" I have a new Dell computer with 2 gig, 448 of ram. The monitor that I have is an Elements. I tried all kinds and brands of monitors and this one is the only one I like the picture on. The computer I'm on now is a home built 500mhz with lots of extras.

So here is my problem.....

I switch this monitor to the Dell and it works great. I go back to this computer and put the monitor back on it, and it won't turn on. A second time I switched from the new one and back to this one, it turned on, but no picture came on. Both times I got it to work when I hit the reset button on the computer (my old one). Then I get a normal picture. But my old computer that's a bad shut down on the old 500mhz and boots up with the scan disk and what not. And so a 3d time I switched the monitor back to the old computer from the new, the picture didn't come on again, hit the reset, my color resolution was screwed up with a black 1' border all the way around the screen. To get that back to normal, I had to do a restore.

So, do I have to buy another monitor, or is there a way to get my old computer to recognize my monitor after I have it hooked to the new one?

Thanks guys...

2. AC0FD

AC0FD Ham Member QRZ Page

Did you install the drivers for the new monitor? Once the new drivers are installed the new monitor should work

3. AG3Y

AG3Y Guest

Is the monitor one of those single frequency types? I have some beautiful 17 and 19 inch NCD monitors here that use Trinitron tubes, etc. The only problem is, they require a special fixed frequency card to display properly. I have not tried them on a newer multi-frequency video card that might have the right horizontal and vertical scan rates to allow them to sync properly.

As I say, they are beautiful but pickey for hardware and software drivers.

Good luck, Jim

4. AC0H

AC0H Ham Member QRZ Page

Quit hitting the reset button! Windows of any flavor needs to be shutdown in an orderly manner or sooner rather than later you will have problems.

5. KB1JCY

KB1JCY Ham Member QRZ Page

Let me see if I understand the problem correctly. You're trying to use an older monitor with your new Dell box? Have you tried booting your Dell in Windows Safe Mode? Do you get any display output or no output from Windows?

6. W0UZR

Didn't get back here until now. Thanks for the responses!  But I'm sorry to say that I don't understand much of what you said.

I'm not computer savy like most of you. I got my first computer in 2003.

I'm not good at explaining things, so it looks like you don't know what I need here. So lets try it again....

I pretty much have only 1 computer monitor I can use that I bought with this computer I have been using I got from my brother. He built this one.  

Now I have a new computer I'm trying to set up.

I turn on the new computer and put the monitor on the new computer and the monitor works on the new computer. No problems.

I go back to this computer, and put the monitor back on it and the monitor doesn't work unless I hit the reset button. And that screws up this computer.

So I'm thinking that the new computer sets something in the monitor to get it compatable with it, and when I put it back on this computer, it doesn't work. Until I push the reset button like I said.

Ok, lets see if you can see my problem now.

Thanks

7. KB1JCY

KB1JCY Ham Member QRZ Page

I've seen this problem before. Or at least something like it. What happens when you switch the monitor cable from the Dell to the old PC? What it sounds like is a known issue with older monitors with a flaky sleep mode. That or another problem where the monitor won't automagically readjust it's internal settings when you move it's connection to another PC. What you can try to do is to hold down the shift key while booting up your old PC so that it loads into "Safe Mode". Then try switching the monitor between PC's. If that works, then you're going to have to set the display settings on the old PC to what approximates Safe Mode.

Heck, a 19" flat panel LCD monitor costs $160 these days. That might be the easy way out. This looks like a good flat-panel. It has two ports where it will let you switch between both PC's:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824001088

8. W0UZR

Yes!

When I switch back to the old computer from the new computer with the monitor, It won't work. Sometimes is acts like I didn't turn the computer on and the light just keeps blinking, and other times I hear the click and the light on the monitor quits blinking and stays on but the picture doesn't come on.

I'll look at your links and see what I can find

THANKS !!

9. K5GHS

K5GHS Ham Member QRZ Page

Install the drivers. It will tell the computer what resolutions as well as refresh rates it can handle.

It sounds to me like the refresh rate is off. If you install it properly, and go into the properties of the monitor, you'll notice a checkbox that you can select that says "show all modes" instead of just the compatible modes. If you switch to one of those, you'll usually get a black screen. The driver will tell windows what modes it can use, and if your current setting isn't one of them, will switch it to a default that it can use, and then you can modify the settings from there.

Windows will, by default, only show you the modes the monitor can actually handle. You can tell it to show all modes but you likely won't get good results [​IMG]

10. WD8OQX

WD8OQX Ham Member QRZ Page

When switching monitors - set your video card to VGA mode THEN switch monitors. This will save you a world of grief - Also, IF the monitor doesn't support the original settings, you COULD screw up the monitor/video card if you don't.

I've also found that some cards & monitor "are just NOT compatible"

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.