Can't Make Cw Contacts

Discussion in 'Straight Keys - CW Enthusiasts' started by KN4ICU, Nov 25, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: OK1UUad-1
ad: Subscribe
ad: L-MFJ
ad: FBNews-1
ad: Left-2
  1. K7TRF

K7TRF Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Nice! :)

2. KC9YGN

KC9YGN Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

It does seem that way, doesn't it? But I'm wondering if people are starting to get a bit bored with it. This is purely my own observation but I've been seeing a lot more activity on PSK, Olivia and even CW in the last few weeks.

3. N7BKV

N7BKV Ham Member QRZ Page

I smoked that too, before I became a real adult. :p

4. N8AFT

N8AFT Ham Member QRZ Page

I'm finding with current propagation lull that QRO <500w gets my CQ answered.
    Yes, those that do reply are 100w or less and fairly weak most of the time.
    Have been working Louisiana and Texas regularly the past week tho on 40 and 80m evenings.
    Normal times don't require such tactics so it's not your operating or antenna at fault.
    Be patient, it will get better in time.

Learn Morse
    Do CW

5. KB4MB

KB4MB Ham Member QRZ Page

I have also noticed a decrease in CW activity during weeknights on 40m, but an INCREASE on 80m. Might be time to switch bands or get an antenna up if you dont have one...

W5BIB and KF9VV like this.
  6. K4AGO

K4AGO Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

I became bored with FT8 in December of 2017. It took about two months of listening to my computer serenade other computers to complete about 4000 contacts. I haven't been back on FT8 since.

I still use JT9 and JT65 on occasion but never FT8.

The same thing happened with my wife, KM4SFY. two months and around 4000 contacts and FT8 no longer had any interest.

There were two memorable contacts for each of us. Those were Japan and Australia from North Carolina on 10 watts and a home made dipole. My first contact on FT8 ever was Russia. That one excited me at the time, but I later found out that Russia was pretty easy from NC.

CW has never lost it's charm like FT8. CW takes skill. FT8 is nothing more than a 20 second download and install on the computer. The real fun with FT8 was interfacing my computer and radio and seeing it work for the first time.
    73 de John K4AGO

KC9YGN and N7BKV like this.
  7. KF9VV

KF9VV Ham Member QRZ Page

To the OP - a hard, uncomfortable question - how is your sending?

Is your timing razor sharp or kind of a mess? I found as my sending quality improved, so did my ability to instigate a QSO irregardless of signal strength.

KD8ZM and N7BKV like this.
  8. KN4ICU

KN4ICU Ham Member QRZ Page

Well put it this way.....A former naval operator asked if I was a radioman before in the military with sending CW.... That should answer your question.

9. KF9VV

KF9VV Ham Member QRZ Page

Nice! I was uncomfortable asking. 40 has not been as productive for as 80 has been as of late.

10. KN4ICU

KN4ICU Ham Member QRZ Page

Well it was official...My call sign was logged in his log book.... How I made it to Alaska, over 4000 miles away with a 33ft end fed wire antenna off my deck with just 100 watts, I'll never know....... But I'll take it... Just sent out the QSL card!!