Can't Make Cw Contacts

Discussion in 'Straight Keys - CW Enthusiasts' started by KN4ICU, Nov 25, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: FBNews-1
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-3
ad: OK1UUad-1
  1. N2SUB

N2SUB Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I'm going to ask the obvious stupid question, based only on experience....is it possible you accidentally engaged the Auto Notch feature on your rig?

Now that you're done laughing at MY silly mistake, I'd recommend joining the SKCC if you have not already done so. There's always someone hanging around on the sked page willing to make a contact.

https://sked.skccgroup.com/

2. KA3CTQ

KA3CTQ Ham Member QRZ Page

Guess I am SOL. I have dogs and a ferret. No cats in the house. Too many of my family are allergic.

Use to have a couple hamsters. Can I substitute with hamsters or more ferrets? (They dogs don't like hanging out in the shack).

3. KN4ICU

KN4ICU Ham Member QRZ Page

And then last night, I made a contact in Alaska, 4000 miles away..... Go figure...

K4OCY and WB5YUZ like this.
  4. K7MEM

K7MEM Ham Member QRZ Page

Just a quick question. Did you need the RBN for the contact?

No cats here. The dogs would think they are toys, and it wouldn't be pretty.

But I do have horses (900 lb pets).

5. NG9F

NG9F Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

incredible!!!!! wow, i wish i had Alaska confirmed!!!!! i guess this means you have nothing to worry about. :) i worked Louisiana from Ohio last night, but the band didn't seem very good so i was calling CW with 500 watts. ended up working a guy who was driving!

i don't know about dogs or horses, but maybe load up on the ferrets and see how that goes. hamsters? you're kidding yourself. they might help a little for sideband but surely not a real man's mode. FT8, sure.

6. KN4ICU

The signal was sooooo weak, but i got the call sign and rst.... I barely got it... just using a 30 ft wire antenna and 100 watts.....gotta love cw!

NG9F likes this.
  7. KN4ICU

8. N3HEE

N3HEE Ham Member QRZ Page

This is because propagation on the 40 meter band changes based on time of day. In the early mornings (before and just after sunrise) and evenings (just before and after sunset) it will be long. This means that most of your contacts during those times will be longer distance. You may be able to work the next state over but it will be pretty difficult as you have found. Local contacts will be easier during daylight hours on 40 meters. So if you want to work DX get on early in the morning before sunrise or near or after sunset. In the evenings you can work stations in Europe. In the early morning you can work stations in Australia. If you want to work locals then get on during the day light hours.

NG9F likes this.
  9. N2UHC

N2UHC Ham Member QRZ Page

Everyone's on FT8 now.

10. K8BZ

K8BZ Ham Member QRZ Page

40 meters is the one band where you can expect it to be open to somewhere almost continuously. If you are not having much luck calling CQ then either answer a CQ or copy a QSO and call one of the stations when they are done. Most will answer if they are called directly, even if the caller is not at their CW skill level, when they might pass by the same op calling CQ. If your antenna is lacking then shunt feed the D string on a Gibson SG through a Humbucker pickup coil. It will greatly improve the tone of your CW note and should result in more calls.