Can't bond ham shack ground to service entry ground

Discussion in 'General Technical Questions and Answers' started by AE0AQ, Mar 6, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: abrind-2
  1. KF5LJW

KF5LJW Ham Member QRZ Page

Watch again. Bare is not listed. Any Insulated conductor used is listed, or I should say Shall be Listed.

How the heck can you list a bare solid wire? Where are you going to put the UL stamp that will not rub off?

K8MHZ likes this.
  2. AE0AQ

AE0AQ Ham Member QRZ Page

Okay, when I asked the question at the outset as to bonding my station to the service ground rod, I had no idea that this subject was so complex. I studied and took all 3 exams in January and February of this year to get my Extra. While there were basic grounding questions in the question pool, nothing prepared me for the complexity discussed here of such an important aspect of hamming - literally life and death issues. It seems to me that more attention needs to be given to establishing a consensus and training for this subject, especially if lives are at stake.

3. KF5LJW

Well I have a direct line with Mike, let's see what he comes back with.

My answer for the moment is 800.179 communication circuits for coax shall be listed for 300 volts. But then again 820.48 maybe the ticket out of listing.

Last edited: Mar 12, 2018
  4. K8MHZ

K8MHZ Ham Member QRZ Page

You must also bare in mind that the NEC, the subject of Dereck's and my discussion, is a set of BARE MINIMUM standards. In essence, the NEC is a big book of what we can get away with. The NEC is not a design manual for the best and safest installation. Exceeding the requirements of the NEC is seldom a bad idea.

5. N0TZU

N0TZU Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

What you're seeing here for the most part in my opinion are discussions of very fine points. But the basics are not in any serious dispute.

The details of exactly how to do that in any particular situation are where sometimes there can be confusion over the best methods. Chapter 28 of the 2018 ARRL handbook, for example, has very good explanations and diagrams.

6. K8MHZ

Look at the definitions in 800.2. "Communication Circuit" does not include radio.

Edit to add:

Thanks for putting up with my questions and observations.

Last edited: Mar 12, 2018
  7. K8MHZ

What is "outside plant coaxial cable"?

8. KF5LJW

Yep I am aware of it. 820.48 I thin covers it, but I am double checking.

My professional opinion, what I practice, and what I use is Coax Listed for Direct Burial (USE) or in rare cases like in a Plenum I will use NEC Type CMP. Both are very easy to find in any coax type from RG-58 up to 1-5/8 inch hard line.

9. KF5LJW

Good question. In telecom it means anything that leaves the Plant like the CATV Head End, or Telco Switching Office. My interpretation is restricted to the utility exemptions that operate under NESC. Everything I see CATV or Telco is USE listed.

10. KF5LJW

It is Catch 22. ARRL requires operators to meet minimum NEC codes. ARRL is out of scope of NEC, and NEC is out of scope of ARRL.

As I posted before th emost imporrtant thing to grasp so many hams are guilty is bonding coaxes. That is the part that can get you hurt or start fires. Even worse held responsible for damage and injuries. Example if say lightning struck near by and burned up your equipment or home. If the insurance company investigates and finds you did not meet minimum safety requirements, they can deny your claim.