Can't bond ham shack ground to service entry ground

Discussion in 'General Technical Questions and Answers' started by AE0AQ, Mar 6, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
ad: abrind-2
  1. K8MHZ

K8MHZ Ham Member QRZ Page

I took this from Mike Holt's site. It is very good advice. If I had a text version, I would post it. Credit for the saying goes to Charles Beck.

[​IMG]

2. K8MHZ

K8MHZ Ham Member QRZ Page

Charlie's Rule of Technical Reading

It doesn't say what you think it says, nor what you remember it to have said, nor what you were told that it says, and certainly not what you want it to say, and if by chance you are its author, it doesn't say what you intended it to say. Then what does it say? It says what it says. So if you want to know what it says, stop trying to remember what it says, and don't ask anyone else. Go back and read it, and pay attention as though you were reading it for the first time.

Copyright 2005, Charles E. Beck, P.E., Seattle, WA

KA9JLM likes this.
  3. W6KCS

W6KCS Ham Member QRZ Page

That's pretty good :)

4. W6KCS

OK, I just gained access to the online version. I read 810.51 carefully but didn't see anything that precludes (supersedes?) 810.3, which says antennas connected to equipment must follow 820. I don't see any way around that one.

In general, I wouldn't look for ways to get out of doing things like the grounding and bonding suggested in 820 on a technicality, because we should be trying to follow good practices, not avoid them because we've interpreted (or misinterpreted) the codes as not applicable. As I said before, hardly anyone here will go to the trouble of complying with 780 or R56, but we should at least do the basics and not look for ways to get out of doing even those minimal measures.

Last edited: Mar 12, 2018
  5. W6KCS

That should be "coaxial cables that connect antennas to equipment must be installed in accordance with Article 820."

6. KF5LJW

KF5LJW Ham Member QRZ Page

For the moment forget article 820 as it pertains to low power signal applications like CATV, and Broadband Service. Article 810 provides installation requirements for transmitter and receiver equipment as well as the associated wiring and cabling. Article 810 applies to: VHF/UHF antennas, which receive local television signals. Satellite antennas, also called satellite dishes. Roof-mounted antennas for AM/FM/XM radio reception. Amateur radio transmitting and receiving equipment, including HAM radio equipment

Limited Energy = Article 820
    Ham radio with a TX involving an Antenna = Article 810

Ham Radio operators with a TRANSMITTER have additional requirements covered in 810.51 to 810.58. Article 810 will also refer you to article 820 which you must comply with. So at the end of the day, thy shall comply with 810 and applicable requirements in 820.

I am a Moderator on Mike Holt Code Forum, and Mike has written the Bible on Article 810 and 820.

K8MHZ and N0TZU like this.
  7. W6KCS

Thanks for the links, Dereck, I always like Mike's explanations and especially his videos. My big question is does 810.3's instruction to use 820 for antennas connected by coax to equipment apply to ham antennas? I assume it does but I'm open to correction.

I've been over on Mike's forum for about an hour reading, not a lot of ham antenna talk though. Mark, I see you over there too.

8. KF5LJW

KF5LJW Ham Member QRZ Page

You are welcome. We have a few 810/820 questions pop up from time to time. 9 times out of 10 in my 16 years there is the same confusion going on here. Which Article applies? Real simple answer is: If a TX is involved, Article 810. 820 also applies, but only the sections called out in 810. The rest of 820 does not apply.

N0TZU likes this.
  9. N4UP

N4UP Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Well said. I had used all manner of excuses not to bond my station ground with the utility ground, but mostly because it would not be easy to do. But I knew it needed to be done, and one day I decided to bite the bullet. Yes my radio room ( and station ground ) is 100 feet away from the utility ground, and it was not easy, but it needed to be done so I did it. My perception was worse than reality. It really wasn't hard to do.

10. N0TZU

N0TZU Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

LJW, Thanks for those great references on 810 and 820.

I would guess that the building to antenna lead-in clearance requirement of 3" in 810.54 is hardly ever complied with at ham stations.