Can't bond ham shack ground to service entry ground

Discussion in 'General Technical Questions and Answers' started by AE0AQ, Mar 6, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-2
ad: abrind-2
  1. K8MHZ

K8MHZ Ham Member QRZ Page

I am still looking, but the only mention of 820 I seen in 810 is pertaining to CATV.

If you can point me in the right direction, that would help. Until then, I am reading 810.

Edit: I see it now. 810.3.

2. WA7PRC

WA7PRC Ham Member QRZ Page

^ ^ ^ THIS ^ ^ ^

3. W6KCS

W6KCS Ham Member QRZ Page

You're right of course, especially for guys with prominent towers, but I think guys with dipoles and those little aluminum verticals are mainly going to be dealing with nearby strikes causing step potentials, not direct strikes. If you give them a copy of NFPA 780 or R56, I think most of them would be overwhelmed and do nothing. At least 810 and 820 will prepare them for the nearby strikes. That was the point here, we had a guy with a ground rod connected to nothing except the radio chassis, and if he had a nearby strike, all it would have done is put his radio chassis at a different potential than the rest of his grounds, and the current would be trying to equalize through the power cord and house wiring grounds.

4. K8MHZ

Good catch. What it does say is that coax connecting antennas to equipment is covered by 820. 820 is so full of rules I will bet no one on this thread is compliant.

5. K8MHZ

Reading 820.

820.179 Coaxial Cables. Cables shall be listed in accordance with 820.179 (A) through (D).

The above lists four types. CATVP, CATVR, CATV and CATVX.

How many are using listed coax?

N0TZU likes this.
  6. W6KCS

Uh oh!

7. W6KCS

I don't have a copy of the code here, but according to the Mike Holt page I linked to there might be something in 820.50 that exempts the coax from the listing requirement if it's length is less than 50 feet from the point of entry, or if it's in a raceway.

8. K8MHZ

Good memory. 820.48

Must be less than 50 feet, the cable enters the building from the outside and is terminated at a grounding block.

HOWEVER.....

I don't read Part III (Amateur Stations-Antenna Systems) as having to comply with anything other than 810.51 - 58, 810.11 - 810.15 and 810.21(A) - (K). Grounding of amateur stations is covered in Part III. Transmitters (not antennas) 810.70 - 810.71

That makes the discussion of anything outside the above moot, don't you agree?

9. W6KCS

It might, I just can't remember. It's hard to search for this stuff because they don't make it available on line (easily) so I have to wait until I get into work to read it. I thought 810's ham section only covered non-coax feedlines.

Edit: I just found this, it seems to agree that 820 should be followed with regard to coax, it's just another interpretation but all the dots seem connectable:

https://www.seapac.org/documents/seminars/2013/2013-Kuhlman-Applying the NEC to Amateur Radio.pdf

Last edited: Mar 11, 2018
  10. K8MHZ

If that were so, as I pointed out, we would have to have listed cable, among other things, if we had to follow 820.

Read 810.51 closely. It dictates which other sections have to be followed. 820 isn't in the list. If everything in Chapter 8 applied, 810.51 would say so, or not be needed at all.