ad: elecraft

Cannot open node-RED from a Win 10 client browser

Discussion in 'Computers, Hardware, and Operating Systems' started by WF9Q, Aug 12, 2021.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: HRDLLC-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
ad: L-Geochron
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-2
  1. KK4NSF

KK4NSF Ham Member QRZ Page

no way, man!

Windows bashing is a time-honored pasttime here on the ZED.... going WAAAAY back to Win 8. We've had some classic discussion on the topic, with a lot of good opinions both pro and con. Of course the pro-windows folks are misguided.... but hey, nobody is perfect. :D

WF9Q likes this.
  2. WF9Q

WF9Q XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I still have a CAD workstation that has Win 8 on it.

Its not bad other than the goofy GUI. Its on our air-gapped internal network so the only way they can spy is an actual physical connection to the network.

In support of the Windows users I can say this for fact. On our air-gapped network that does have some Windows boxes attached they ALL run VERY good. Secret is air gap from the internet, way too many applications with built in PGP keys and other back doors spying on you OR attempting to penetrate your machine.

KK4NSF likes this.
  3. W8BE

W8BE Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Have you tried Edge or Chrome to validate it's a browser issue? I have loaded Ubuntu 20.04 on a pi and had no issues connecting to it with Chrome or Edge. You could have a FW issue on the server blocking incoming requests, or possibly you set the node-red ip for the ui to 127.0.0.1 instead of the ip address of your interface. Either way you have some sort of config issue as many folks are using node-red with out issues on ubuntu.

4. K6CLS

K6CLS Ham Member QRZ Page

Can you name any programs with secret PGP keys?

Seems unlikely.

5. WF9Q

If you get the IEEE computer society magazine it was either this month's or last month's issue you will be surprised. Researchers found over 450 PGP keys buried in Huawei equipment, plus other issues. That is a peer reviewed publication.... Trump was 100% correct with his assertion regarding security of the equipment. I don't know where the magazine is at or I would cite the exact page and issue. Pretty sure others on this forum get the mag too.

Those keys allow them to SSH into ANY of their devices undetected.

Pretty safe to say when in Rome do as the Romans do......

Last edited: Aug 19, 2021
  6. K6CLS

SSH does not use PGP. Try again.

Unnecessary to bring up the deposed former PoTUS, not a reliable reference for anything.

I can give you dozens of reliable references regarding Huawei corporate hijinks, starting with stolen software in the late 1990s.

But one misbehaving company doesn't mean the world is flooded by apps with secret keys.

7. W5UAA

W5UAA Ham Member QRZ Page

Yes, no reason to listen to anything from previous administrations. Especially the last one. History is meaningless to our growing number of evolving smart people. Smart people are smarter than anything in history. Everything is just fine now.

The internet is a growing war zone. And there's more and more undetected malware being produced. So, *one* misbehaving company is nothing to worry about.

https://www.researchgate.net/figure...-malware-signatures-over-time_fig16_221928731

WF9Q likes this.
  8. WF9Q

Computing Edge,
    Failure as Design
    August 2021 Pages 38-39,Daniel E. Geer Jr and Dale Peterson
    424 firmware images contained hard coded SSH keys
    76 instances of firmware so a root user with a hard coded password could log in SSH
    8 different firmware images were found to have precomputed authorized_keys hard coded into firmware. That is a back door for anyone with a private key.

More than that was done.....What those two did is extremely specialized and out of reach of many. So who is going to catch the other bad actors.

9. WF9Q

I can say this for fact, our secure network is air gapped (no possible internet connection out of the facility) and the windows boxes operate perfectly... A couple are high end DELL workstations running Solidworks and just a couple support applications running Libreoffice on them and they perform perfectly. Back when they were still on the internet (maybe 2013-14) it was always some quirky BS. I have not had to restart the Ubuntu headless servers in YEARS running air gapped. We did lose power for over 12 hours a couple of years ago and the back-up supplies ran out. It was high pucker factor starting up, everything was working after a nasty shutdown.

10. K6CLS

Good citation. Not clear that it applies to Huawei.

Twice you said SSH uses PGP, and it does not.