Cannot open node-RED from a Win 10 client browser

Discussion in 'Computers, Hardware, and Operating Systems' started by WF9Q, Aug 12, 2021.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: HRDLLC-2
ad: Left-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: L-Geochron
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
  1. WF9Q

WF9Q XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Installed fine on a Ubuntu 20.04 server and can open it using Ubuntu client using firefox however, when trying to access it using the Win 10 box it will not display. Browser on Win 10 box is Firefox.

Last edited: Aug 12, 2021
  2. W5UAA

W5UAA Ham Member QRZ Page

N3AWS likes this.
  3. WF9Q

Yes. That is what I thought...

Not sure if java is installed on that machine.

After reading their website after having this issue it seems like I wasted my time trying it out. Don't see any pricing / licensing information.....All that means is trouble in the future when you try to use it commercially or even for a hobby.

4. NQ4T

NQ4T XML Subscriber QRZ Page

It's open-source released under the Apache license. There is no cost for commercial or hobby use.

WF9Q likes this.
  5. WF9Q

Thank you for the information, it bothers me that license information is not explicitly mentioned on their website. When stuff is not clearly defined by the tech companies it typically has high probability of being a negative impact source for the user.

6. KK4NSF

KK4NSF Ham Member QRZ Page

well..... there's your problem: you are using Win10! Ditch the Win10, and put a good Linux distro on that machine.... and the problem will go away! After putting up with all sorts of MS's BS, that's what I did and I've never been happier with my computering.

7. NQ4T

NQ4T XML Subscriber QRZ Page

What typically happens is the serious programmers that use this stuff either do basic research or have already heard about it. The fact it's based on node.js told me it was likely going to be an open-source project since node.js itself is open source.

Most of the time when a project is based on something open-source, it stays that way.

8. WF9Q

Cannot agree with you more.

Last edited: Aug 14, 2021
    KK4NSF likes this.
  9. W5UAA

W5UAA Ham Member QRZ Page

Isn't there a new rule here on the zed? No Microsoft Windows bashing?

Oh, wait, I might be confusing that with something else. But then again, they're both the same thing these days.

I've been free from the shackles of Microsoft Windows now for almost a year. Fedora is my preferred Linux distribution. Fedora 33 or 34 on any of my machines these days.

10. WF9Q

Ubuntu is mine.

Just removed the Node-red. Tried to log in from my Ubuntu box that did work yesterday and it was a no go. Checked the server and it was active. Just removed all of it. Way to many others ways to waste my time, playing with half baked stuff is not one of them. Pretty sure the install was okay since it did work yesterday on Ubuntu just not on win10.

KK4NSF likes this.