Cannot identify resistor

Discussion in '"Boat Anchor" & Classic Equipment' started by KN4SMF, Aug 24, 2020.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: abrind-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
  1. KN4SMF

KN4SMF Ham Member QRZ Page

This resistor in in a 1936 Philco model 60. It does not show up in the paperwork and I haven't been able to identify it with research. It is orange with a white end and a gold spot on the white. Thank you.

Attached Files:

2. K5MIL

K5MIL Ham Member QRZ Page

Looks like the gold spot is may be missing white paint. Orange body with white tip would be 39 ohms. Is there a color spot on the body on the underside? What component does it connect to? Have you checked it with an ohm meter?

Bill - K5MIL

3. KP4SX

KP4SX Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Body-end-dot. 39*? There should be a dot in the center.
    The gold won't be it.

4. WB3EGK

WB3EGK Ham Member QRZ Page

W1TRY likes this.
  5. K1APJ

K1APJ XML Subscriber QRZ Page

After August 15, 1934, resistor 24 was changed to 39K, which would be orange body, white end, orange dot. This is the dropping resistor for the screens in the 6A7 and the 78.

Where is the resistor in the circuit?

W1BR, WA1GXC and KP4SX like this.
  6. W9WQA

W9WQA Ham Member QRZ Page

ha ! i forgot wht.gra. dont use them enuf ...

7. KN4SMF

This is in a 1936 Philco Model 60. The other side of the resistor is encrusted with tears of baked on dust that resists attempts to clean it. There are both a 6A7 and a 78 in the radio. The resistor tests as 39.4 K

8. K5MIL

K5MIL Ham Member QRZ Page

APJ is correct. The orange body and no dot with white end, would be 39K (orange body=3, white end = 9 and since the body is orange the dot is assumed orange (3 zeros). When no dot exists, it is assumed to be the same color as the body. 39.4K is close enough. I should have referenced my own webpage before speaking.
    http://radioremembered.org/rescode.htm

Bill - K5MIL

W1BR, KN4SMF and W1TRY like this.
  9. KN4SMF

Thank you. I've been having a bit of a hard time with this little Philco. You would think it would be nothing. No RF amp, only 1 IF stage. But at least 1 repairman had been in this thing and what he did made it a horror for me. I just discovered a resistor that was suppose to be 1 megaohm, but was 2.6 megs. Id say that was a wee bit out of tolerance. Isn't a 2.6 megaohm resistor also known as a piece of rubber?

10. KP4SX

KP4SX Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Old resistors always go high. Particularly the high values like 1 megohm.

WA1GXC likes this.