Canceling a club call sign?

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio Clubs' started by AF7CE, Aug 8, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-2
ad: abrind-2
  1. AF7CE

    AF7CE Guest

    I have a club call for a club that never really took off and is now pretty much defunct. The club call was associated with my primary license FRN but I have since disassociated it, now I want to cancel it. Direct calls to the FCC directed me to do changes via one of the VEC groups, so I sent an email to the guy with W5YI that supposedly handles that with no response.

    What do I need to do to get the call canceled? It currently has no FRN.
  2. K3XR

    K3XR Ham Member QRZ Page

    How far is the call from expiring? Unless there is a concern for improper use, just let it expire.
  3. KC5FM

    KC5FM Ham Member QRZ Page

    How about sending an email to your friends at the American Radio Relay League?

  4. AF7CE

    AF7CE Guest

    I'm not a member and I have issues with them.
  5. WA4OTD

    WA4OTD Ham Member QRZ Page

  6. K7JEM

    K7JEM Ham Member QRZ Page

    If you have disassociated with it, IOW you are not the trustee, you may not be able to do anything with it. What is the callsign of the club station in question?

    As others have said, it probably isn't an issue, just let it expire.

  7. N1EN

    N1EN Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

    I believe he's disassociated from the club. He's still trustee for the call.

    If the club really doesn't want the call (it'd be good manners to ask, and arrange to transfer the trusteeship if they do), I also see no harm in letting the calll just expire....unless, of course, you want to be trustee for a different club call, due to the anti-callsign-hoarding changes to Part 97.
  8. K7JEM

    K7JEM Ham Member QRZ Page

    That's why it is important to look at the actual ULS record of the license. It will have a line that shows the name of the trustee. It will have a name of a club attached. There are two issues here, if the club actually exists, they may have claim on the club callsign. If he is the trustee, he is responsible for the club callsign. So, if the club wants to retain the call, they need to transfer the trusteeship to a new individual. If the club no longer exists, then the trustee can cancel the call, or just let it expire. If the OP is NOT listed as the trustee, there probably isn't much he can do.

    Hence, asking for the callsign so we can look it up and see what is going on.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Share This Page