Canadian duty on new amateur radio equipment from the US?

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by VE6ADZ, Jun 29, 2020.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
ad: FBNews-1
ad: L-MFJ
  1. VE6ADZ

VE6ADZ Ham Member QRZ Page

I'm considering the purchase of an Electraft KX2 and according to the CBSA customs/tarriffs schedule https://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/trade-commerce/tariff-tarif/2015/01-99/ch85-2015-eng.pdf , it looks like I will only have to pay local taxes (5% GST in alberta) and possibly the $20 cbsa processing fee.

Are there any Canadians out there who have recently purchased a new transceiver and had it shipped from the US? Is there a customs code that I should request to be included in the documentation to make sure that my radio isn't mistaken for another type of electronic equipment that requires extra fees?

2. K4AGO

K4AGO Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Wait until after July 1, 2020 when "NAFTA 2.0" becomes effective and you should not have to pay anything to import a transceiver from the USA to Canada

3. VE6MB

VE6MB Ham Member QRZ Page

There is no import duty on amateur radio equipment into Canada......and this has nothing to do with NATFA 1.0 or 2.0. However Canadians are liable to pay GST/HST depending on their province of residence.

K0UO likes this.
  4. VE3FI

VE3FI Ham Member QRZ Page

I bought a KX3 last year. Never paid anything once it crossed the border. The post lady simply brought it to my front door and I had to sign for it.

5. VE6MB

VE6MB Ham Member QRZ Page

I wouldn't claim to know how Canadian Customs deals with all the packages and parcels that are delivered to various points in Canada. However, even when shipping using standard Postal Mail......it seems to be "hit-or-miss" as to whether GST is going to be collected on it when it is delivered.

The important thing is that you are prepared to be liable for GST/HST........ and particularly on higher value items......it is likely to be collected. Check with your vendor/shipper....is there a line item in the shipping cost to account for import/duty/taxes? (Although we've already stated there is no duty for amateur products).

When you are shipping something using a courier (instead of USPS/CanadaPost)....be aware of potential import fees that have nothing to do with duty or GST. Import fees could be charged by the courier company (Fedex, UPS, DHL, etc) for them to perform the customs clearance "service".

Last edited: Jun 30, 2020
  6. VE6ADZ

VE6ADZ Ham Member QRZ Page

Thanks for all of the help. I've never purchased anything from the US that costed more than about $200, which was a 12m Spiderpole. I did have to pay gst and a cbsa processing fee. I'm not sure why I have to pay a processing fee to CBSA for their services since my taxes already pay the cbsa employee wages.

As for courier import fees, I still haven't heard back from Elecraft about shipping. If they use a courier that adds fees, I'll just get a different radio. Maybe I'm missing something, but import fees and ebay's global shipping program are pretty much a scam as far as I can tell.