ad: portazero-1

CANADA REPORTS AGREEMENT TO DROP MORSE

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by AA7BQ, Jan 22, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: Left-3
ad: abrind-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
  1. AC7RG

AC7RG QRZ Member

Man, this is getting to be a depressing hobby.   [​IMG]

2. W7DME

W7DME Ham Member QRZ Page

No offense my friend, but something earned has more satisfaction and value than something given. Of course this is just my opinion, and like noses, most of us have one, but I feel that we, as amateur radio operators should have to demonstrate some proficiency for each mode of operation we are legally entitled to use, which includes CW. I also feel, that if we are to do away with the CW requirement, then we should take the next logical step, and remove the special band limitations and open up the current CW portions of the various bands to other modes, including Phone. After all, why restrict or protect a mode of operation that no one is required to know. As most of us know now, there is no CW activity on the Marine frequencies any longer, so the watch requirements and use of these frequencies are being alocated to other modes of operation. An alternative proposal might be to open the CW portions wide open to narrow band data and make a subband for wide band data. CW would still remain legal to use anywhere, such as in the phone bands etc. for those persons with enough love of the hobby to learn that part of the art. Here's another thought, how about doing away with CW all together, ie make it illegal to use at all, and open those parts of the bands to Phone! CB forever!

Mike - K7OV

3. W9WHE

W9WHE Ham Member QRZ Page

We don't need no stinking CODE.....
    We don't need no stinking REGULATIONS.....
    We don't need no stinking TESTING......
    We don't beed no stinking LICENSES....

WE CAN BE JUST LIKE CB.

The ONLY thing seperating us from CB is the standards. Take away the standards and we will be CB.

Do you have ANY idea how many K1MANs there are on 11 meters? Let's not move them to 20 meters!

W9WHE

4. AA1MN

AA1MN Ham Member QRZ Page

I've said it before and it obviously needs repeating:

An amateur radio license does not provide the privelage of judging others.

Judging by the above quote it seems there's just as many on the amateur bands.

Chuck, AA1MN[/b]

5. KC7JTY

KC7JTY Banned QRZ Page

Depends what the IQ score has to be. Less than 100 amateur radio will flourish. Over and you are doomed.

6. W7DME

Hi my friend, I am sorry to hear about your dibilitating disease. I hope for a cure as soon as possible but feel pain for your condition. That being said, there is already a provision for people in your condition. All that is required is a note from you doctor and the code is waved. I don't feel That accomodations should not be extended to those who can learn and pass the CW requirements though. This thread is not about mitigating circumstances, but about the general average guy.

As to the language on the "higher" bands like 80 and 160, those are lower bands, not higher. Low frequency, as aposed to higher frequency, a concept that you should have down pat as a General Class ham. I have been licensed since 1958 and although I have heard bad conduct and language on some specific frequencies, I have never heard anything to equal just an hour or two of casual listening on the CB band. Most hams are curteous and generous to their fellow hams, and I will say also, that there are lots of CBer's who are that way also, and would probably make great hams. Some of the foulest language I have ever heard anywhere was on Channel 19 (a common trucker channel). That kind of conduct on amateur radio is an exception rather than the rule, whereas the rule rather than the exception on the CB bands. I can truthfully say, that I have listened for weeks on end to the 2 meter and 440 repeaters without hearing a foul word or conduct that I can hear on queue on the CB band within a half hour of turning on the radio. I will admit that it can vary form location to location around the country, for the most part what I have said is true.

I was a ships radio electronic officer for many years and I can attest to this, not only in our country, but world wide as well. I also will agree with you that knowing or not knowing CW is going to make you a better person on the air is nonsense. But, the fact of the matter is, that most people who fall into that type of personality, that is one who would use foul and discusting language on any radio band, for the most part do not have the personal resolve it takes to learn and test on CW. In fact, a great percentage of those you will hear on the Ham bands who conduct themselves this way, are no code hams or bootleggers. Just prowl through the FCC reports about who they are fining and talking too about infractions. Most of those Hams who make that list are the same ones over and over again, and a goodly portion have no license at all, with truck drivers appearing frequently for use of illegal equipment and transmitting on bands and frequencies they are not allowed to use. So, at least on a small scale, the CW requirement does help as a LID filter in our ranks, but probably not to the extent tha some whould have us believe.

That being said, code or no code, I hope and pray that you will be the recipient of either a miracle cure or a medical advancement, which I feel is another type of miracle, and be healed of your disease.

Mike - K7OV

7. W7DME

I'll see your judgement and raise you two!

You really should do some research and learn the difference between a "judgment" and an "Opinion" That knowlege might make your life happier!

Mike - K7OV

8. N8CPA

N8CPA Ham Member QRZ Page

Mike, the waivers disappeared at the same time as 13 & 20WPM exams. Since they were contingent on passing 5WPM, eliminating higher speeds eliminated the waiver. You can read the full text at the FCC website. Look for document FCC-99412.

9. W9GRN

W9GRN QRZ Member QRZ Page

I agree.

10. VE3UUH

VE3UUH Ham Member QRZ Page

If Morse Code was to be a LID Filter it was a dismal failure, check statistics and the qualifications of many who have been pink slipped, fined, suspended and you will be shocked to see that many were people who passed code at 12, 20 wpm not just newcomers. Code is just another mode of communicating, nostalgia, a slice of history, not the end all and be all of life. How does sending code equate to better operating skills? Tougher, more relevent exams, taking questions and answer banks out of the public domain would be a good start. Licenses to only those who have attended recognized and ceritified courses. Whether we like it or not we are going to have to join the 21st century, I hate to break it to you folks but World War Two is over. Contrary to poular belief there won't be any big rush to Amateur Radio no matter what happens. It is like a great Canadian Beer commercial said 'those who like it, like it alot" that can be said about CW and Amateur Radio. it is hard to believe that we are such a bunch of whinners and cry babies, resistant to anything that resembles change,the mire mention of it brings forth the gloom and doom crowd. The fact of life is most of the planet doesn't care about ham radio. It it ever dies it will be ourselves who have killed it like the rest of the planet, environment we have managed to destroy. If Cw stays it stays, if it goes it goes.In the big scheme of the world it just doesn't matter. What happens in Canada is not what will happen in the USA, relax take a damn pill and get on with life! Surely this horse has been flogged to death long enough!!!!!

11. N3HGB

N3HGB Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I suspect that the number of HF rigs sold if CW was eliminated would not change much. Why on Earth do people think there is some huge hoard of people dying to be hams that aren't now? There might be a brief spike as no-code techs upgrade, but that would be it. Speaking of which, if we want to fight BPL and other threats we NEED people on HF. If I were a no-code tech, after hearing all the juvenile vitriol aimed at no-coders, I would be rooting for BPL to take out HF big time.

12. kc0ofc

kc0ofc Ham Member QRZ Page

I have to say I had a fun time learning Morse Code. The college I was attending even gave me 1 credit of independent study credit for passing the 5 wpm exam. The hours of AD0H coming over and testing me every week on my couch were also good memories. This is what ham radio is about.

I am concerned that with the highest-ever demand for bandwidth from commercial enterprises, we have a real 'use it or lose it' problem on our hands. With the advent of cellular phones, satellite TV, bluetooth, et cetera; if we have too few people on HF, we could lose a band or two faster than we can key CQ.

I only did the 5 WPM exam, but I would have done more if I had to. I think it would be cool if somebody formed an independent exam that we could take a higher code speed. I would certainly take the test an pass it to feel that kind of prestige of knowing I did the hard stuff. The FCC doesn't have to do it for us -- we can organize it and do it for ourselves.

Tim Legg
    kc0ofc

13. KC5SDY

KC5SDY Ham Member QRZ Page

Here is my 2 cents worth...
    I am 32 years old now.  When I was a kid, I knew vaguely about ham radio. I knew knowing morse code was required. Needless to say I did not have all the facts and therefore did not care to get my license. As I went through my CB phase, I enjoyed it considerably.  Then I got tired of the crap in the air and turned the CB off for the last time about 15 years ago.  9 years ago a close friend of mine told me that I needed to get my license.  He already had his, so I had to get mine.  By this time, I could have the no-code tech. I was not aware of any of the code vs. no-code debates. I did get my license and have enjoyed it ever since.  Once I had my license and experienced HF for the first time, I decided to go all the way to the top regardless of what the requirements were.  By the time I was able to start studying, the CW requirements were lowered. I did not wait until it happened, it just happened before I could start on it.  I could care less either way what the requirements are, were, or will be.  The point is, I worked for what I wanted.  If someone else wants to come along and work their way to the top, but wants lower requirements, so be it.  I know what I went through to get there. I do NOT look down on anyone who wants lower requirements.  I hold my license in high regard as can be seen in my actions on-air. Just because someone does not want to work for their license, does not mean that the hobby is going to hell in a hand basket.  There will be bad operators. There are bad operators now and there were bad operators before any requirements were lowered.  What we must do as a whole is, regardless how someone gets their license, work with them and make sure that they turn out to be an asset and not someone that is just ignored and griped about because of how they get their license.

In a nutshell, regardless if the changes are made for the worse or for the better, if you want this hobby to to be as prosperous and well known as it used to be, then work at it. Do not sit there and gripe about it.  If you think the world is at an end, then it will be for you.

I am still proud to be a ham and will keep my license as long as I can physically turn on the radio. The only question is, are YOU still proud?

14. N1KDD

N1KDD Ham Member QRZ Page

As far as I am concerned, let the stodgy old dinasaurs eat cake and have their precious code. May the FCC drop the code requirement for Amateur radio completely. It is a millstone around the neck of Ham radio.

15. K9KLC

K9KLC Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.