ad: QSKLLC-1

Canada callsign -- how to mitigate CW requirement

Discussion in 'Becoming an Amateur Radio Operator/Upgrading Privi' started by K3RW, Oct 13, 2017.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: QSOToday-1
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
ad: Subscribe
ad: L-MFJ
  1. AF7TS

AF7TS Ham Member QRZ Page

While a 'no code' extra license does not demonstrate code proficiency, the FCC still has licenses which require 'telegraphy elements' and there are groups which will do telegraphy examinations.

It might be somewhat difficult to find a test, but they are out there.

https://www.fcc.gov/wireless/bureau...radio-operator-license-program/types-licenses

So a 'radiotelegraph operator license' would require passing written elements 1,6 and telegraphy elements 1 and 2 (16 code groups per minute and 20 words per minute)

The licenses which require telegraphy are considered commercial, and are mostly offered by 'COLEMs'
    https://www.fcc.gov/wireless/bureau...license-program/commercial#block-menu-block-4
    and they will charge more than the amateurs, eg $25 per exam element.

I don't know if you could just get away with taking the slower telegraphy elements and then use the proof of completing the exam, or if you would need to go the whole way to getting the license.

Jon
    AF7TS

K3RW likes this.
  2. K3RW

K3RW Ham Member QRZ Page

Thanks--that's definitely the next goal for me. I'll go all the way. Who knows, I may these someday :)

3. N2EY

N2EY XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Follow-on question:

What about a US licensee who passed the license tests back when code tests were part of the US requirements? I had to pass sending and receiving back-in-the-day (1967-70). Would a copy of an old Callbook page be proof enough?

4. K4AGO

K4AGO Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

If you can copy 5 wpm you can send 5 wpm. copying is the difficult part, not sending.

K3RW likes this.
  5. N5RFX

N5RFX Ham Member QRZ Page

Wow you get to write the exam in Canada. That should make it easy. Just make up questions that are easy.

Mark N5RFX

6. K3RW

K3RW Ham Member QRZ Page

That's the phrase they came back at me with.

"Write the exam" = Canadian-ism for taking and passing it. Must be a British thing. I heard all about people 'writing' the exams when I was in grad school with foreign students.

7. K3RW

K3RW Ham Member QRZ Page

Yup. I'll get there. Next big goal is General Radiotelephone license. Evil code groups at 20wpm or something like that. Jibberish

8. N5RFX

N5RFX Ham Member QRZ Page

LOL I wonder what write a novel means?

9. ND6M

ND6M Ham Member QRZ Page

pretty much the same as "sitting for the exam".

10. K3RW

K3RW Ham Member QRZ Page

Yep--and I should clarify, that in 'mitigating the requirement' I'm not trying to find a loop hole to get around it.

No plans for Canada this year anyways, and can't get a Canadian callsign without a legitimate residence either. But if I take my long-awaited Canadian Rockies trip and brought the 6m beam, I'd not want to be constrained to Tech Plus equivalent levels when I do.