Can you give a reason for NOT getting a 7300?

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio Equipment Reviews' started by KC3PJ, Mar 24, 2017.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: K5AB-Elect-1
ad: Subscribe
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-2
  1. N7WR

N7WR Subscriber QRZ Page

The 7300 is a great radio--buy it, you will like it

2. W7UUU

W7UUU QRZ Lifetime Member #133 Administrator Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

Heathkit nailed it decades ago with the long-forgotten Heathkit SB-7300.... ;)

Dave
    W7UUU

upload_2018-12-29_18-19-58.png

WL7PM, K2MR, K9ASE and 4 others like this.
  3. N7WR

N7WR Subscriber QRZ Page

LOL

W7UUU likes this.
  4. AF4RK

AF4RK Ham Member QRZ Page

I sent my 7300 back to Icom for repair. Owned it for about 18 months. I was in a CW contest, running 50% power to an Alpha 86. About half way through the contest I went to change bands and i couldn't tune on 40. I hooked up a "Cantenna" dummy load and found low power on 40 (about 5%) and only 80% on 20. Waiting for word from Icom. Doesn't seem like finals because the power is close to normal on 20. Still like the radio, find it hard to operate in a contest without the "scope". I hooked up my 7100 and got back on the air with the amp, no problems. But I did cut back the power to 800 watts, about 40% on the radio.
    AF4RK

5. K1SZO

K1SZO XML Subscriber QRZ Page

The IC-7300 is easily the best bang for your buck. I know several people who are extremely happy with their 7300. I would own one right now if I hadn't decided to go with it's big brother instead. (IC-7610)

The waterfall makes surfing the bands a breeze. I would get it and not look back

6. N2SUB

N2SUB Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Everybody knows this thread is 11 months old, right. LOL

FWIW, and since the OP was looking for a reason NOT to buy an IC-7300, about the only reason I can think of is that it only has 1 antenna jack. Of course an A/B switch could solve that rather easily. :)

7. VA3VF

VA3VF Ham Member QRZ Page

LOL indeed. The Jan 2019 answer is: New models have been released since.

Partially solved by this:

https://www.ebay.ca/itm/RX-Adapter-...h=item41e7fe6788:g:X~YAAOSwXahbUenk:rk:1:pf:0

N2SUB likes this.
  8. K9ASE

K9ASE XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I can see you're getting ready for April.

W7UUU likes this.
  9. N8FVJ

N8FVJ Ham Member QRZ Page

The IC-7300 is under $1K new. Best bargain out there. Only other radio I consider a bargain is the FT-991A due to 160 meters thru 440mHz all mode. Not quite the receiver of a IC-7300, but it is good enough for 99.9% of communications compared to the IC-7300. The FT-991A has a great DNR too.

10. N1NA

N1NA Subscriber QRZ Page

I was all ready to buy the 7300, but being in my senior years, I decided to go for a rig with a better receiver. When I discovered that the ftdx-3000 had the same receiver as the 5000, (which is incredible), I found the 3000 was only $300 difference with all the yaseu incentives. Probably the last rig I will buy, at my age. The three year warranty is a huge plus as well the USB interface for digital modes, and the filters.
    The Icom is a great radio, but I decided the 3000 was better for me. Good luck with whatever your choice.
    Chuck

K9DD likes this.