Can you give a reason for NOT getting a 7300?

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio Equipment Reviews' started by KC3PJ, Mar 24, 2017.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: FBNews-1
ad: Subscribe
ad: OK1UUad-1
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
  1. NN6D

NN6D Ham Member QRZ Page

1. Fanboys.

PU2OZT likes this.
  2. K0UO

K0UO Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

No

GET IT and then GET ON THE AIR, you will love it!

W9FL and NY4Q like this.
  3. WD0BCT

WD0BCT Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

All of the above and the clock battery replacement problem! Has ICOM fixed this yet? Requiring a soldering iron to change a battery?

4. SV2HZF

SV2HZF Ham Member QRZ Page

Only if the low price and compact size fool you to think that you're getting something inferior.
    Many folks do this mistake; I used to be one of them until I've got one...;)

5. N2ZD

N2ZD Ham Member QRZ Page

I’m laughing because this thread is still alive for more than 3 years. I’m sure this guy moved on or bought a 7300.

I will tell you newbs or tire kickers, that this rig defied all of the ‘NO’ people in this thread and ICom probably sold more of these than the other sellers sold their radios combined.

The price is down 500 bucks since it came out. I just bought one last week and love it.

Yeh, it doesn’t have VHF and UHF.. neither does an 890, 990, a 7850 etc.. If you’re buying it, you’re buying it for HF/6.

There is no reason not to buy one now..

K0UO and K0OKS like this.
  6. AH7I

AH7I Ham Member QRZ Page

Look at the Tentec Eagle. About $600 to $800 used. If you get with the AT option, tuner covers a wide range of impedances.

Yes. I know it's an old thread.

73, -bob

PU2OZT likes this.
  7. M7JDJ

M7JDJ Ham Member QRZ Page

I’m considering one of these as my first HF rig, and from what I gather (and correct me if I’m wrong) it’s a great rig for a decent price.

I get it that it’s not perfect and as with all rigs some are better than others in certain situations, but I think for the money it’s probably as good as it’s going to get overall and ideal for a new radio amateur wanting to be able to try SSB and data (and maybe CW at some point).

K0OKS likes this.
  8. K0OKS

K0OKS Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

The more you do this hobby the more you realize there has actually been very little improvement in receivers in the past 40 years in terms of what the receivers WILL hear. What has improved in what the receivers WILL NOT hear. In other words rejecting nearby strong signals. By all accounts the 7300 is excellent at both. Is it the BEST? No, but that changes every few months anyway, and the improvements are subtle. They are appreciable, but they are subtle.

You can argue about certain specific test conditions, or about the "hiss" sound Icom receivers have that annoys some people. However, the fact is that it really is the best deal going, especially if you consider that the included hand mic sounds better than most sub $100 desk or boom mics, and thus you don't have to get another mic right away.

M7JDJ likes this.