ad: M2Ant-1

Can you give a reason for NOT getting a 7300?

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio Equipment Reviews' started by KC3PJ, Mar 24, 2017.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: l-assoc
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
ad: Subscribe
  1. KC3PJ

KC3PJ Ham Member QRZ Page

I am about to buy a radio. Just casual ragchew and casual dxing. Ability to deal with QRM probably most important feature. Not involved with computer functions at all......think ham radio 30 or 40 years ago. Dependability is very important to me. Can you give me a reason for NOT buying a 7300? Can you think of something that would better suit my needs? Thanks........Bill

KA8UGB likes this.
  2. K6CLS

K6CLS Ham Member QRZ Page

I've used one for several hours. I'd say go for it and don't look back.

Several friends bought 7300s and are happy with them. Not the right rig for me but my requirements for "next HF rig" are different.

3. K0OKS

K0OKS Ham Member QRZ Page

I have been using a 7300 since December. I am a new new ham, and it was my first rig.

Overall great. Great for digital modes; easy to hook up with USB.

I wish it suppressed lightning crashes better (like a Flex or Apache Labs).

I wish it had AF DSP processing. This can be done with an external box.

I wish it had dual notch filters.

I wish it would support wider than 2.8kHz band pass on transmit.

Screen could be bigger, but I have no problem with its current size.

Separate TX and RX antenna ports would be nice (easy to hack and there is even a 3rd party mod that makes this easy without damaging anything).

Dual receive would be nice.

Other than those relatively minor things the 7300 is pretty nice, and a very good deal for the money. That said, I find myself running my old Kenwood TS-820s I got about a month ago. I enjoy fixing it up and tweaking it. There is something more organic and nostalgic for me...

I would look for a slightly used unit, and prices will be coming down as this new big-brother ICOM 7610 comes out. Many people will dump their 7300 for the 7610. So prices will drop even further. If you can hold off a month or three until the 7610 comes out it will probably save you a few hundred bucks.

KD2ACO likes this.
  4. KC3PJ

KC3PJ Ham Member QRZ Page

Thanks for all your input. All very good and helpful.

5. VE3TMT

VE3TMT Ham Member QRZ Page

Too small for a suitable base station. I picked up a 756PRO3 and couldn't be happier.

HUSKYKP and ND6M like this.
  6. K0OKS

K0OKS Ham Member QRZ Page

The 7300 certainly is not as big as a full sized rig, like my old TS-820s, but I am not sure how its size influences its ability to function as a base station. The 7300 has a reasonable sized touch screen, and any function not accessible with a button or knob (most common functions have a physical button or knob) is controllable typically through one or two taps on the touch screen.

Do I prefer all the little switches and knobs on something like the TS-820S? Personally, yes, but the 7300 doesn't really slow me down any. (In fact, since you have to tune the finals on the TS-820s, it is waaaay faster with the 7300, but any modern rig is tune-free.)

7. KD8DEY

KD8DEY Ham Member QRZ Page

You have been VERY Naughty,
    No 7300 for you.

8. K3EY

K3EY Ham Member QRZ Page

I have owned too many radios over the 35 years I been in the hobby. $6000 down. . . . . . .

Down to one now, the IC7300 and it is by far the funniest radio I ever played with.

Out with the old and in with the new. How much longer are you going to be around? I ask myself that and go accordingly, unless living in the past is your comfort zone, then a TS520s is one answer and my first radio.

9. AE1N

AE1N Ham Member QRZ Page

Can you define: "the IC7300 and it is by far the funniest radio I ever played with?
    All those I know with the IC7300 are happy. I did my own specification comparison between today's market radios and the 7300 wins hands down.

WD4DXQ likes this.
  10. N4NYK

N4NYK XML Subscriber QRZ Page

The IC-7300 specs and reviews look good / competitive compared to similarly priced radios. The ergonomics (specifically the incorporation of a touch screen) and lack of certain other attributes kinda makes it less desirable for me so I would choose another radio... Just my personal choice. It's still a great radio, however.

Last edited: Mar 25, 2017