Can we do a survey?

Discussion in 'QRP Corner' started by KC3JIN, Jan 15, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: K5AB-Elect-1
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
ad: Subscribe
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
  1. KD8ZM

KD8ZM Ham Member QRZ Page

They may be, at some point, I hope! After all none of us get to stay a kid for very long. :)

2. KM4DYX

KM4DYX XML Subscriber QRZ Page

You guys are optimists. We're not getting any smarter, quite the opposite. A couple more generations and kids will be impressed with fire.

Curmudgeon

3. KD8ZM

At some point today's kids not only have to use high-tech gadgets, they will have to become the ones designing and building them (profitably!) in order to continue to use them. That will force them to learn - or at least, that's my hope. Maybe I really am an optimist. lol

4. WX5DL

WX5DL Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

IMG_20180111_131711_137.jpg
    Ten Tec Argonaut 515 at home & FT-817ND Portable. Mystery antenna at home (look it up) & magnetic loop or end-fed wire portable. CW & SSB on 20 & 40, other bands when they're open. QRP is sometimes productive, sometimes not but I always enjoy it. I'm not a contester or dx chaser, just a casual op. Success rating? 10. My expectations are not unrealistic

KD8ZM likes this.
  5. K6BSU

K6BSU Ham Member QRZ Page

Over the years, I've designed and built many QRP rigs, mostly CW.

My current QRP transceiver is also 100% home-brew. Shown with an external VFO (at left) that runs on 40M SSB. Can also use it on CW. The "TUNE/OPERATE" switch unbalances the Mini-Circuits DBM to provide a carrier, which is then keyed for CW.

How do you like that meter? It's for Power Output, but it came from a battery tester. Reads "Good" and "Replace"!

Using a 40M dipole with the center up 36 ft. QRP STATION.JPG

Last edited: Jan 21, 2018
    KA9P, N1OOQ, KD8ZM and 2 others like this.
  6. N0MAP

N0MAP XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I'm a very new QRPer (sold my 100w radio and bought a QRP rig last week).

1. I have but one: KX2
    2. At home I use a ~130' horizontal wire loop. Portable, I use an end fed wire via a 9:1 balun and/or a Buddistick.
    3. So far I've made contacts on 20m and 40m
    4. Ssb and cw
    5. I greatly prefer to be sitting in the woods, on a hill, etc.
    6. 8? I've done three park activations so far and made plenty of contracts. I can compare very well to QRO as I spent three days running 100w in the woods last weekend. In general with ssb, I am making fewer contacts for the activations, and the signal reports are generally a few points lower. CW is seems much less affected. Getting out fine according to RBN, and making contacts.

7. KB3FEI

KB3FEI Ham Member QRZ Page

Off topic reply: I talked with a kayak Fisher last summer as he was coming off the bay in Lewes, DE. He thought it best to stop fishing and return to the beach because the shark near him was bigger than the kayak. Any qrp equivalents, I wonder? de kb3fei, dale.

8. KD8ZM

A kW guy with a death ray antenna, possibly?

9. VE6NS

VE6NS Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

1. Elecraft KX-3
    2. 35' endfed
    3. Mostly 40, 30, 20 and 17m
    4. CW
    5. I mostly operate from home on the patio, I do frequent local parks quite a bit and venture out to the bald ass prairies every now and then.
    6. Always have fun when I'm out so I'd say my level of success is a "11"!

10. KD8ZM

What do you use as a counterpoise for your 35' EFRW?