Discussion in 'QRP Corner' started by KC3JIN, Jan 15, 2018.
They may be, at some point, I hope! After all none of us get to stay a kid for very long.
You guys are optimists. We're not getting any smarter, quite the opposite. A couple more generations and kids will be impressed with fire.
At some point today's kids not only have to use high-tech gadgets, they will have to become the ones designing and building them (profitably!) in order to continue to use them. That will force them to learn - or at least, that's my hope. Maybe I really am an optimist. lol
Ten Tec Argonaut 515 at home & FT-817ND Portable. Mystery antenna at home (look it up) & magnetic loop or end-fed wire portable. CW & SSB on 20 & 40, other bands when they're open. QRP is sometimes productive, sometimes not but I always enjoy it. I'm not a contester or dx chaser, just a casual op. Success rating? 10. My expectations are not unrealistic
Over the years, I've designed and built many QRP rigs, mostly CW.
My current QRP transceiver is also 100% home-brew. Shown with an external VFO (at left) that runs on 40M SSB. Can also use it on CW. The "TUNE/OPERATE" switch unbalances the Mini-Circuits DBM to provide a carrier, which is then keyed for CW.
How do you like that meter? It's for Power Output, but it came from a battery tester. Reads "Good" and "Replace"!
Using a 40M dipole with the center up 36 ft.
I'm a very new QRPer (sold my 100w radio and bought a QRP rig last week).
1. I have but one: KX2
2. At home I use a ~130' horizontal wire loop. Portable, I use an end fed wire via a 9:1 balun and/or a Buddistick.
3. So far I've made contacts on 20m and 40m
4. Ssb and cw
5. I greatly prefer to be sitting in the woods, on a hill, etc.
6. 8? I've done three park activations so far and made plenty of contracts. I can compare very well to QRO as I spent three days running 100w in the woods last weekend. In general with ssb, I am making fewer contacts for the activations, and the signal reports are generally a few points lower. CW is seems much less affected. Getting out fine according to RBN, and making contacts.
Off topic reply: I talked with a kayak Fisher last summer as he was coming off the bay in Lewes, DE. He thought it best to stop fishing and return to the beach because the shark near him was bigger than the kayak. Any qrp equivalents, I wonder? de kb3fei, dale.
A kW guy with a death ray antenna, possibly?
1. Elecraft KX-3
2. 35' endfed
3. Mostly 40, 30, 20 and 17m
5. I mostly operate from home on the patio, I do frequent local parks quite a bit and venture out to the bald ass prairies every now and then.
6. Always have fun when I'm out so I'd say my level of success is a "11"!
What do you use as a counterpoise for your 35' EFRW?