Can we do a survey?

Discussion in 'QRP Corner' started by KC3JIN, Jan 15, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-3
  1. KC3JIN

KC3JIN Ham Member QRZ Page

Just wondering, to turn a phrase, how many ways there are to skin the proverbial cat.

Please do share:
    1. Your choice of txcvr (maybe if you're a collector pick, like, one main).
    2. Antenna
    3. Band (frequency if youre xtal controlled)
    4. Mode
    5. Preferred or common op spot, generally
    6. Arbitrarily (scale of 1 to 10?) How successful you feel you are, with QRP, at present.

I dont intend for this to be a huge comprehensive state-of-the-ionosphere collection, I'm just curious to know if anyone's having more fun than myself after my last thread here :)

2. KC3JIN

KC3JIN Ham Member QRZ Page

Ill start-

1. Yaesu ft-817 (not ND)
    2. Alphaloop Jr+ 10-40m magloop
    3. 40 and 20 so far
    4. SSB
    5. Exterior, mainly in parks and parking lots
    6. About a three so far. No successful contacts, but listening is OK, and youve gotta keep tinkering.

3. KM4DYX

KM4DYX XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I'll play:

1. FT 817ND (I've been using my "new" SG 2020 a lot lately, but the 817 is my first love.)
    2. Linked Dipole
    3. 40
    4. CW (used to be digital, so easy to work DX when QRP)
    5. Indoors
    6. 9 (Focus on regional contacts as I learn CW; not interested in DX right now)

KC3JIN likes this.
  4. WN1MB

WN1MB Ham Member QRZ Page

1 - Heathkit HW-8

2 - Extremely high tech: 60' #28 magnet wire out 2nd floor window into cluster of trees; 30' #28 magnet wire counterpoise stapled to the wall of the apartment; combination tuned with homebrew L-network tuner ( http://alienjeff.net/radioslt.html )

3 - 40 meters

4 - CW, but of course

5 - common: home - preferred: campsite at yearly vacation in the Adirondack Mountains

6 - 10 with the key being realistic expectations

N8DAH and US7IGN like this.
  5. K5DH

K5DH Ham Member QRZ Page

I've been operating QRP for 40 years, so my level of success may not fit your criteria.

1. Current flame is my Elecraft KX-3, the best performing QRP radio ever.
    2. Multi band dipole
    3. Mostly 40, 30, and 20m
    4. Mostly CW. "Back in the day", I used to work a lot of QRP SSB and FM on 10 meters using converted CB rigs.
    5. I mostly operate from home. Occasional ops on vacation trips.
    6. Having done WAS 2x QRP CW, WAC 2x QRP CW, over 100 DXCC countries QRP, and a best of over 10,000 miles per watt, I'd say my level of success is a "10"

73/72,
    Dean K5DH

KC3JIN likes this.
  6. N1OOQ

N1OOQ Ham Member QRZ Page

1. Homebrew 40m rx/tx. Other rigs down for repair at the moment
    2. 80m dipole at 30 ft, fed with 450 ohm window line from a balanced tuner. This is my all-band antenna setup.
    3. 40m at this time
    4. CW. Something like a 10 dB advantage over SSB.
    5. Home
    6. 10. I can generally scare up a contact whenever I'm on. I try to stay out of the dx zone down in the 1st 25 khz of the band... there be lots of speed demons there.

W3JJW likes this.
  7. KF9VV

KF9VV Ham Member QRZ Page

1. Kenwood TS-930S loaded with filters running 5 Watts, QRP Labs QCX on 40 Meters
    2 110' Doublet fed with 300 Ohm window line and a link coupled tuner
    3. 40 Meters.
    4. CW
    5. Home for now. Once spring hits, I'll also be portable. Living in WI doesn't encourage winter portable!
    6. Solid 9. The real joy for me is making contacts with zero impact from an urban QTH. Not putting anything around me on the Fritz is a comforting thought. Kind of like fishing from a kayak.

Last edited: Jan 16, 2018
    KC3JIN likes this.
  8. K8JD

K8JD Ham Member QRZ Page

QRP Survey
    When I find out the other end of the QSO is QRP I turn down the power on the big rig to 5W, too often the other guy can't hear me when I QRP and have to get back up to 100 W so he can hear me again, Those stations usually are using someting like the HW 7 or 8, or live under noisy power lines or are on a vertical :D . .

My favorite QRP only rigs are the MFJ Cubs. 2nd best; I have the MFJ9030 and a 9017 , a little more power but only made a few QSOs on 17 without a Yagi available to use.
    My best antenna for Lower band QRP , Halfwave dipoles. for the higher bands, a Yagi./
    Best results for QRP in winter is 80M, in Summer 40 or 30M.
    I don't use any DIGI modes so my best QRP mode is CW.
    I take the little rigs on camping trips up in West and Northern Michigan, usually a lot of trees to hang my lightweight dipoles in the branches. AT home I usually use the big rigs with power set for 5W.
    On a scale of 1 to 10, is one the best or worse ? My QRP operating is about five.

N8AFT likes this.
  9. VE7JBX

VE7JBX Ham Member QRZ Page

1. YouKits EK-1C.
    2. Inverted-V dipole made from 22G zip wire strands. Planning to try EFHW soon though.
    3. In order of preference: 20, 40, 30.
    4. CW! Still a n00b at it after something over a year of learning code, but at least a n00b comfortable at 10 wpm now.
    5. This time of year, from my house. Cold and rain aren't that fun for playing radio outside, so I just plop the EK-1C on top of one of the QRO radios at home and link it into the antenna switch. The rest of the year, various remote cabins scattered around northern BC are my favourite place to take the QRP rig.
    6. 6. Propagation is generally pretty poor and I haven't got very good antennas either at the home QTH or when in the field, so I am happy to still manage to make contacts pretty reliably with even a few more exotic ones (eg Roratonga on 20m a few months back, and a 2xQRP last weekend to a fellow running a SOTA activation with an MTR-2 and a 1/4 wave vertical; nice clear signal both ways, wouldn't have guessed it was 2x QRP).

KD2RON likes this.
  10. KC3RN

KC3RN Ham Member QRZ Page

Sounds like fun.
    1. Old Kenwood TS-130 set at 5 watts, with a CALF audio filter. I have an MFJ-9200, but I really like the old 130.
    2. 74' end fed and/or G5RV Junior (depending on band).
    3. Mostly 40 and 80, although I enjoy 30 and 15 (when it's open).
    4. CW. I also like FT-8, but not as much as CW. I haven't had a mic in my hand for almost a year now.
    5. My home shack.
    6. I would say "7". I don't chase paper, but I have worked all 50 states, and about 70 countries. I worked a bunch of SKCC stations over this past weekend's WES. I was running QRP, but most of the stations I worked were QRO, so I think I did pretty well.

WD5IKX and KD2RON like this.