Can This Drake Chassis Be Salvaged ?

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by K5FRH, Feb 19, 2020.

Tags:
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: FBNews-1
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: Subscribe
  1. WA1GXC

WA1GXC Ham Member QRZ Page

If it is truly a T-4 then it has value only in good condition as received. Otherwise, it's a pile

of 55-year old paper caps and out-of-tolerance resistors. It looks like I wasn't thinking --as pointed

out to me, no PTO, no dial assembly, just a few switch wafers worth recovery. Literally worthless.

Redacted serial number? Hot? Efforts better directed to robbing banks. "That's where the money is."

W4NNF likes this.
  2. W4NNF

W4NNF XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Yep. This radio is only of value to those who want it for sentimental reasons or the Drake collector who is a completist. For someone who just wants to get on the air with a tube rig? There are far better choices.

I wondered about that "redacted" serial number too. Made me go "Hmmm." ;)

3. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

If the rig also does that, time for new filter capacitors for sure.

W4NNF likes this.
  4. W7UUU

W7UUU Super Moderator Lifetime Member 133 Administrator Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

Just got my January 2020 CQ magazine ( :rolleyes: ) and right there on the cover, for the 75th anniversary edition, is a photo of a Drake Reciter from at least 50 years ago! It's been a very very long time I'm sure since a Drake Reciter appeared in any magazine, much less on the cover!!

Dave
    W7UUU

upload_2020-2-20_14-43-29.png

NQ8J, WA1GXC and KP4SX like this.
  5. WB4IVG

WB4IVG Ham Member QRZ Page

6. WB4IVG

WB4IVG Ham Member QRZ Page

Ok everyone has 2 Cents worth in, here's mine. If it is old and raggedy but functional the T4 Reciter make a great amp for a QRP rig. I modded one that picked up are Shelby Hamfest. It really looked crappy, but worked 100% the receiver had been hit by lightning but the Tx was a ok. I went into it where the driver hooked to the finals and drive it with an icom ic 703 it makes a fine amp and works slick.
    Laurin Cavender WB4IVG

NQ8J likes this.
  7. WA9SVD

WA9SVD Ham Member QRZ Page

But it makes the tomato juice makers happy...:rolleyes:

But on a chassis isn't a good idea, as previously stated; it will likely cause even MORE corrosion. (And when used on a frying pan, it is usually THOROUGHLY rinsed off, something much more difficult on a chassis, where traces would likely be hiding.)