ad: cq2k-1

Can the Xiegu X5105 be an effective POTA radio??

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by W4FDT, Oct 27, 2021.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: Left-2
  1. MW1CFN

MW1CFN Ham Member QRZ Page

True ham spirit there. Only thing with those rigs is poor frequency stability for the modes that need that. SSB and most digimodes not a problem, of course. It's just a disappointment to see a component - TCXO - that costs pennies, not being included as standard on all rigs these days.

K2BKT likes this.
  2. N1FM

N1FM Ham Member QRZ Page

3. K9NUD

K9NUD Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Of course the 5105 is an effective POTA rig. Every 5W rig out there is perfect for POTA, especially if you are using CW. I always activate parks @ 5W. For SSB, you face a harder task. If you don't know CW, you might want to sign up for CW Academy training!

W0BNC, WD4ELG and N7KO like this.
  4. N7KO

N7KO Ham Member QRZ Page

You are doing it the way I feel is more fun, if you think about it, in an emergency you would need to keep it simple, the simpler it is less you need to fuss with. Fast and easy setup and take down, helps keep you mobile and if you happen to use CW mode makes it easier to make more contacts.
    And hay it is more exciting making contact with 5 watts or less and a simple antenna like a buddipole or a wire. 72'

WN1MB likes this.
  5. N7KO

N7KO Ham Member QRZ Page

In the old days we did not need to be spotted, we did what ya call work the bands, which meant you got to know which bands you were more likely to be heard on for the day or night,, time of year and solar conditions. Then you would first try the band and frequency's that from your own history gave you the most contacts, then you slowly move up and down the bands fishing for more contacts.

Not much of a challenge if you already knew Frank, Charly, and Susan was tuned up on a certain frequency waiting for your call. In an emergency are you going to rely on the internet to post a spot? And are there going to be people setting around on their computer waiting for someone to post a spot? The answer to both questions is NO.
    5watts or less QRP. 72'

WN1MB, AE0Q and KE0GXN like this.
  6. AJ2I

AJ2I XML Subscriber QRZ Page

You do this anyway now, so you know which band to be on. In the "old days", there also was no FT8, DMR, DStar, internet etc etc. It's a sign of the times, people are lazy and want to work the cluster and not search and pounce. So we need to adapt to the new style of operating or just be happy calling and calling and calling for 30 mins with no answer.. OR spot and work someone in 2 minutes.

7. AJ2I

AJ2I XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Also, where is it written that ham radio is supposed to be a challenge? I thought the purpose of the hobby was to communicate.

W0BNC likes this.
  8. WN1MB

WN1MB Ham Member QRZ Page

Partially. To wit:

ยง 97.1 Basis and purpose.
    The rules and regulations in this part are designed to provide an amateur radio service having a fundamental purpose as expressed in the following principles:

(a) Recognition and enhancement of the value of the amateur service to the public as a voluntary noncommercial communication service, particularly with respect to providing emergency communications.

(b) Continuation and extension of the amateur's proven ability to contribute to the advancement of the radio art.

(c) Encouragement and improvement of the amateur service through rules which provide for advancing skills in both the communication and technical phases of the art.

(d) Expansion of the existing reservoir within the amateur radio service of trained operators, technicians, and electronics experts.

(e) Continuation and extension of the amateur's unique ability to enhance international goodwill.

FMI, bookmark and read: https://www.law.cornell.edu/cfr/text/47/part-97

9. W4FDT

W4FDT Ham Member QRZ Page

Luckily, this is about a Parks on the Air activation.. not an emergency situation. Not all modes, operations etc are guided towards emergencies. Sometimes we just do it as a hobby.

W0BNC likes this.
  10. K2BKT

K2BKT Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

In spite of ARRL's BS for lobbying purposes, 'the purpose of the hobby' is to advance radio technology by attempting difficult and unusual things with radio. If you want to communicate, you have a very fun and capable UHF transceiver - your cell/smart phone.