ad: ProAudio-1

Can Surplus / Used NDB Transmitters be Used on 630 Meters ?

Discussion in 'The Low Bands - 630/2200 Meters - VLF' started by K2WH, Jan 18, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Subscribe
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
  1. K2WH

K2WH Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Can they be modified to use on 630 meters and is there a source for them ?

2. N0TZU

N0TZU Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Good question. And the antenna, and tuning elements?

3. AA5CT

AA5CT Ham Member QRZ Page

Here in this part of the US most are at 25 Watts thereabouts, if that's the power level you are looking for. There were a few, longer range NDBs, but it's been a decade or better since the one or two down by the coast of Texas were taken out of service.

Bear in mind, many of these units may have limited "AM" capability, and may have no "mic" input as a tone generator was all that was necessary.

Many private fields in this part of Tx had NDB marking them. They have grown fewer and fewer looking at the NAV charts. A friend of mine had a hobby of tracking them down via RDF techniques.

K0UO likes this.
  4. N5MRG

N5MRG Ham Member QRZ Page

Many of the NDB transmitters used a mixing technique to obtain the modulated CW. An additional exciter operating 1 KHZ off channel was keyed on/off and mixed to produce the tone that is heard.

As WB5WPA stated most are 25 watt transmitters and are very robust. It would not be too difficult to modify one to use on 630m cw.

And, chasing down NDBs was a fun hobby of mine for many years. Slowly they began to vanish to the point where they're are few in service nowadays.

K0UO likes this.
  5. KL7AJ

KL7AJ Ham Member QRZ Page

Indeed they can....and are....being used extensively by the denizens of our new bands.

K0UO likes this.
  6. K8JD

K8JD Ham Member QRZ Page

I know a lot of the local NDB signals I heard years ago are gone now, wonder where the equipment all went ?

K0UO likes this.
  7. AA5CT

AA5CT Ham Member QRZ Page

Airport manager's decision; most likely scenario: hauled off for scrap-metal reclamation at the manager's behest.

8. W8AAZ

W8AAZ Ham Member QRZ Page

I would guess that if they were taken out of service there would be little demand for the equipment and should not sell for much. Some years ago the local airport took their entire Wilcox ILS system out of service and upgraded to newer. I bought the whole ILS outfit plus two or 3 Moto UHF repeaters, spares and manuals by the truckload for 200$. Then they said get it all out of here. I was in a quandry and contacted a local surplus dealer and broke even on all of it, as he had a truck to haul it all away. Call it an impulse buy. They still have two NDBs at this airport, believe it or not, on the air.

9. K0UO

K0UO Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Yes they can or they have good parts/amps. Most 25 to 100 watts.
    I have a few

10. KB2FCV

KB2FCV Ham Member QRZ Page

More and more NDB's are being decommissioned, but I imagine that everything is either hauled off to the scrap heap or placed into storage somewhere should any remaining NDB's need replacement parts. Sadly the one by me I was told is slated for decommission in the next couple of years. I too enjoy NDB hunting with an old lowband ARC-5.